Deformulation plays an important role in ANDA submission of generic formulation. Deformulation is also known as reverse engineering. Being first to gain the most is a fundamental principle in the generics business. Though generics companies have used reverse engineering commonly, the topic is hardly discussed in the public literature. Hence, the study focuses on the reverse engineering (i.e. deformulation) method for determination of composition of commercial available dapsone gel. Deformulation of marketed formulation of Dapsone gel has been carried out by using different analytical methods like GC-FID, Karl Fischer Titration, etc. Determination of each component present in marketed formulation of Dapsone gel (Acnedap gel) has been done by development and validation of analytical method for its quantification as per ICH guidelines. The quantity of API dapsone and excipients such as DGME, methyl paraben, carbopol 980, water and sodium hydroxide obtained after decoding is 25, 0.2, 0.5, 69.2 and 0.1% respectively.
Cite this article:
Shweta Kalburgi, Mallinath Kalshetti. Deformulation of Dapsone gel by Analytical methods. Res. J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech.2021;13(1):19-22. doi: 10.5958/0975-4377.2021.00004.5
1. Topical Use Acne Treatment Market- Global Industry Trends [Internet]. 2018 [Cited on 2019 July 16]. Available from: https://www.databridgemarketresearch.com/reports/global-topical-use-acne-treatment-market
2. Global Market Insights [Internet]. 2018 [Cited on 2019 July 16]. Available from: https://www.gminsights.com/industry-analysis/ acne-medication-market
3. Reverse engineering of pharmaceuticals [Internet]. 2005 [Cited on 2019 July 16]. Available from: http://www.pharmtech.com/role-reverse-engineering-development-generic-formulations Deformulation [Internet]. 2018 [Cited on 2019 July 16]. Available from: https://eutechsci.com/deformulation-services/
4. How can Deformulation/Reverse Engineering Help Your Formulation [Internet]. 2018 [Cited on 2019 July 16]. Available from: https://www.pharmaexcipients.com/news/how-can-deformulation-reverse-engineering-help-your-formulation/
5. Equivalence of Locally Acting Drug Product [Internet]. [Cited on 2019 July 17]. Available from: https://www.fda.gov/media/91563/ download
6. Pharmaceutical reverse engineering [Internet]. [Cited on 2019 July 17]. Available from: https://www.avomeen.com/lifesciences-pharmaceutical-reverse-engineering-how-it-works/Reverse engineering [Internet]. [Cited on 2019 July 17]. Available from: https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-perform-reverse-engineering-in-pharmaceuticals
7. Indian Pharmacopoeia 2010. Vol. I: 154.
8. Indian Pharmacopoeia 2010. Vol. II: 1162.
9. Dapsone [Internet]. [Cited on 2019 July 17]. Available from: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ File: Dapsone.svg
10. Pickert A, Raimer S. An evaluation of dapsone gel 5% in the treatment of acne vulgaris. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2009; 10(9): 1515-1521.
11. Zahid Z, Furquan N, Sarfaraz K, Moizul H, Obaid S, Raheel K. Reverse engineering and development of generic Orlistat formulation. JIPBS. 2016; 3(4):17-25.
12. Mangesh B, Ashwini M and Shraddha P. Development of generic Dapsone gel 5% using QbD technique. WJPR. 2018; 7(13): 1005- 1024.
13. Ashish G and Kashimra P. Formulation, development and evaluation of antiacne gel. WJPPS. 2017; 6(8): 1664-1679.
14. Karl Fischer Titration [Internet]. [Cited on 2019 Oct 15]. Available from: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Fischer_titration#:~: text=Karl%20Fischer%20titration%20is%20a,an%20automated%20Karl%20Fischer%20titrator.
15. Brookfield Viscometer [Internet]. [Cited on 2019 Oct 5]. Available from: https://www.ceramictestingequipment.co.uk/product.php? product=130
16. Carbopol Polymer Products [Internet]. [Cited on 2019 Oct 5]. Available from: https://www.lubrizol.com/Health/Pharmaceuticals /Excipients/Carbopol-Polymer-Products
17. Shin H and Jung D. Determination of icing inhibitors (ethylene glycol monoethyl ether and diethylene glycol monoethyl ether) in ground water by gas chromatography- mass spectrometry. Bull Korean Chem Soc. 2004; 25(6): 806-808.