Oral health is important as overall health. Now-a-days people may faces more oral problems like periodontal disease, sore throat, gingivitis, plaque and so on. For maintaining good oral health various formulations are formulated. A mouthwash is recommended for controlling plaque, bad breath, toothache and bacteria. Herbal mouthwash are preferred over chemical mouthwash as it shows less side effects and is non-irritant, less toxic, and do not contain alcohol. Medicinal plants, because of their antiviral and antibacterial action against human microorganisms, have a major role in healing and preventing illnesses. Herbal mouthwash consists of extracts of crude drugs which has no or less side effects as compared to synthetic mouthwash. Herbal mouthwashes are prepared from various plant extracts. The herbs described in this article are cinnamon, neem, guava, pomegranate, tulsi, wintergreen, tulsi, peppermint, miswak and clove that are useful in dentistry. Mouthwashes that may be readily produced and used safely by people at home using natural materials could enhance the population's overall oral health. The major goal of this review is to preserve dental health by using natural mouthwash.
Cite this article:
Shraddha Jethawa, Onkar Gopale, Suvarna Shelke. Herbal mouthwash: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology.2022; 14(3):217-3. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2022.00035
Shraddha Jethawa, Onkar Gopale, Suvarna Shelke. Herbal mouthwash: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology.2022; 14(3):217-3. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2022.00035 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-14-3-5
1. Manipal S, Hussain S, Wadgave U, Duraiswamy P, Ravi K. The Mouthwash War- Chlorhexidine vs. Herbal Mouth Rinses: A MetaAnalysis. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2016 May;10(5):81.
2. H. panda. Herbal Cosmetics Handbook. Asian Pacific Business Press:406-407.
3. Sharma PP. Cosmetics Formulation. Manufacturing And Quality Control. Vandana Publication Delhi-110034. 5th Edition:563.
4. Takenaka S, Ohsumi T, Noiri Y. Evidence Based Strategy For Dental Biofilms: Current Evidence Of Mouthwashes On Dental Biofilm And Gingivitis. Japnese Dental Science Review .2019;55:33-40.
5. Chowdhury BR, Bhattacharya S, Deb M, Arnav Garai. Development Of Alcohol Free Herbal Mouthwash Having Anticancer Property. Journal Of Herbal Science.2013; 2(1):7-12.
6. Farjana A, Zerin N, Kabir MD S. Antimicrobial Activity of Medicinal Plant Leaf Extracts Against Pathogenic Bacteria. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease.2014;4(Suppl 2). S920-S923.
7. Banu NJ and Gayathri V. Preparation of Antibacterial Herbal Mouthwash Againt Oral Pathogen. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences.2016; 5(11):205-221.
8. Nigam D, Verma P, Chhajed M. Formulation and Evaluation of Herbal Mouthwash Against Oral Infection Disease. International Journal of Pharmacy and Life Sciences. July 2020; 11(7):6746-6750.
9. Shetti NA, Metgud R, Pattar V, Hugar SS. Salvadora persica (Miwak) Mouthwash: A Promising Home Care Agent. Annals of Dental Specialty.Jan-March 2016;4(1):6.
10. Raj D, Thangavelu L, Ganapathy D. Herbal Mouthwash. Drug Invention Today.2019; 12(10):2325-2328.
11. Varalakshmi.E, Ramya.A Study to Assess Effectiveness of The Guava Leaves Mouthwash for Patients with Oral Problems. International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science.Sept-Oct 2019;7(5):35-42.
12. Jalaluddin Md, Rajaekaran UB, Paul S, Dhanya RS, Sudeep CB, Adarsh VJ. Comparative Evaluation Of Neem Mouthwash On Plaque And Gingivitis: A Double Blind Crossover Study. The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice.July 2017;18(7):567-568.
13. Reddy Dr H And Dr. Preethi.Herbal Mouthwashes.European Journal of Nmolecule and Clinical Medicine.2020;7(2):6655-6661.
14. Sandhya R. Herbal Product as mouthwash A review. International Journal of Science and Research.July 2017;6(7):1334-1337.
16. Evans WC.Trease and Evans.Pharmacognosy.16th edition:273-274,283,384,466-468.
17. Shah B And Seth AK. Textbook Of Pharmacognosy And Phytochemsitry.1sTEdition.Elsevier.238-240,259-260,284-285,290-291,306-307,315-316489-490,551-552.
18. Yanakiev S. Effects of Cinnamon In Dentistry: A Review; Molecules.2020;25:4148,1-17.
19. Anushri M, Yashoda R, Puranik M.Herbs:A Good Alternative To Current Treatments For Oral Health Problems. International Journal of Advance Health Science. April 2015; 1(12):26-32.
20. Nafea J, Yaakub H, Edbeib MF. Formulation Of Antibacterial Mouthwash from Local Herbs: A Mini Review. Journal Of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Biotechnology.2020;8 No 2:7-12.
21. Kukreja BJ, Dodwad V. Herbal Mouthwash: Gift of Nature International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences.June 2012; 3(2):46-52.
22. Lakshmi T, Krishna V, Rajendra R. Azadirachta Indica: A Herbal Panacea In Dentistry- an update. Pharmacognosy Reviews. Jan-june 2015;9(17):41-44.
23. Hosamane M, Acharya AB. Evaluation of Holy Basil Mouthwash as An Adjunctive Plaque Control Agent in Afour Day Plaque Regrowth Model. Journal Clinical Experimental Dentistry.2014;6(5):e491-e496.
24. Menon RS. Pharmacologica Aspects of Essential Oil-Wintergreen Oil. International Journal of Science and Research.July 2017;6(7)1539-1541.
25. Al-Bayaty FH, Al-koubaisi AH, Wahid Ali NA, Abdulla MA. Effect of mouth wash extracted from Salvadora persica (Miswak) on dental formation: A clinical trail. Journal of Medicinal Plant Research.2010 July 18; 4(14):1447.
26. Alotaibi RA, Aldahlawi S, Lyami FMA. The Effects of Commiphora Myrrh Mouthwash Versus Chlorhexidine On The Dental Plaque And Gingivitis: A Comparative Study. Journal Of Research In Medical And Dental Science.2020;8(4):65-70.
27. Parashar A. Mouthwashes and Their Use in Different Oral Condition. Scholars Journals of Dental Sciences. Mar-May, 2015;2(2B):187.
28. B Kulaksiz, ER Sevda. Investigation Of Antimicrobial Activities of Some Herbs Containing Essential Oils and Their Mouthwash Formulation. Turkish Journal of Pharmaceuticals Science.2018;15(3):371.
29. Ahmad S, Sinha S, Ojha S, Chadha H, Aggarwal B. Formulation and Evaluation of Antibacterial Herbal Mouthwash against Oral Disorders. Indo Global Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences.2018;8(2):38.
30. Patil SS, Yadav AR, Chopade AR, Mohite SK. Design, Development and Evaluation of Herbal Mouthwash for Antibacterial Potency Against Oral Bacteria. Journal Of University of Shanghai for Science and Technology. Nov 2020;22(11):1137-1148.
31. Thombre N, Thete M, Shimpi P. Review on Role of Herbs in Management of Oral diseases. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2020; 10(4):321-326. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2020.00055.6
32. Prashar D, Jasra K. Pharmacognostic, Phytochemical and Therapeutic Overview of three Allied Herbs used in Dentistry. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021; 11(2):121-5. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2021-11-2-5.
33. Ashwin. K.S, Karthikeyan. M, Nirmalkumar. R, Rajanivetha, Priyadarshini. R. Halitosis: a Short Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 7(12): Dec. 2014; Page 1494-1497.
34. Durbar U, Geetha R.V. Antibacterial Effects of South Indian Spices on Oral Microbes. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 8(8): August, 2015; Page 1135-1136. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2015.00201.2.
35. Naveed N, Murthykumar M, Soundarajan S, Srinivasan S. The Use of Neem in Oral Health. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 7(9): Sept. 2014 Page 1060-1064.
36. Prasanth M, Capoor AK. Antimicrobial Effect of Mouthwashes: An In vitro study. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 6(6): June 2013; Page 662-668.
37. Shankar S, Gopinath P, E. Roja. Role of Spices and Herbs in Controlling Dental Problems. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics.2022;14(1):23-8. doi: 10.52711/2321-5836.2022.00004.