Heramb Shahane, Rani Ghosalkar, Kedar Bavaskar, Ashish Jain
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Heramb Shahane, Rani Ghosalkar, Kedar Bavaskar*, Ashish Jain
Shri D. D. Vispute College of Pharmacy and Research Center, New Panvel.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2023
The aim of the present work was the preparation and optimization of mouth-dissolving tablets (MDTs) of Ivabradine hydrochloride by using natural super disintegrants. The tablets were prepared using microcrystalline cellulose as diluent and aspartame as a sweetening agent along with Natural super disintegrants. The natural super disintegrants used in this study were Guar Gum and Banana powder. By using natural superdisintegrants we had saved the environment and protected our bodies from the harmful effect of synthetic superdisintegrants. The tablet was prepared by the direct compression method. The 6mm of punch was used and the tablet weight is 110 mg. The tablets were evaluated for weight variation, hardness, friability, wetting time, disintegration time (DT), and dissolution study. Different concentration of superdisintegrants was used in this formulation as 6%, 8%, and 10%. The three batches of guar gum and 3 batches of banana powder were prepared i.e., a Total of six batches were prepared. From the results obtained, it can be concluded that the tablet formulation prepared with 10% banana powder i.e., 10 mg showed fast and higher drug release (98.66%) during in vitro dissolution study. Also, the hardness, friability, dissolution rate, and assay of prepared tablets (batch F6) were found to be acceptable according to standard limits. The result was the F6 batch was optimized batch from all the batches.
Cite this article:
Heramb Shahane, Rani Ghosalkar, Kedar Bavaskar, Ashish Jain. Preparation and Optimization of Ivabradine Hydrochloride Mouth-Dissolving Tablet. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology2023; 15(4):247-2. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2023.00040
Heramb Shahane, Rani Ghosalkar, Kedar Bavaskar, Ashish Jain. Preparation and Optimization of Ivabradine Hydrochloride Mouth-Dissolving Tablet. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology2023; 15(4):247-2. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2023.00040 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-15-4-5
1. Savpure, G. C.; Shaikh, A. Z.; Tadavi, S. A.; Pawar, S. P. Review on Mouth Dissolving Tablet. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2019; 8 (3): 1524–1537.
2. Bhowmik Debjit, B. Chiranjib, Kant Krishna, Pankaj, R. Margret Chandira: Fast Dissolving Tablet: An Overview. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 2009; 1(1): 163-177.
3. Venkateswara Srikonda Sastry, Nyshadham Janaki Ram, Fix Joseph A.: Recent technological advances in oral drug delivery – a review. PSTT. 2000; 3: 139-144.
4. Sunita Kumari, Visht Sharad, Sharma Pramod Kumar, Yadav Rakesh Kumar, Fast dissolving Drug delivery system: Review Article. Journal of Pharmacy Research. 2010; 3(6): 1444-1449.
5. Kuchekar B. S, Badhan A.C, Mahajan, H.S, Mouth dissolving tablets: A novel drug delivery system, Pharma Times. 2003; 35: 7-9.
6. Ratnaparkhi M. P, Dr. Mohanta G. P, Dr. Upadhyay L, Review on Fast Dissolving Tablet. Journal of Pharmacy Research. 2009; 2(1): 5-12.
7. Patel, D. B.; Patel, K. J.; Bharadia, P. D. Formulation and Evaluation of Orodispersible Tablet of Ivabradine Hydrochloride. Pharmaceutical and Biological Evaluations. 2017; 4 (3): 162.
8. Doig C. Ivabradine: first of a new class of treatments for angina. Wily Online Library. 2009; 17(15):14-7.
9. Tripathi KD. Essential of medical pharmacology; 6th edition. Jaypee Brother's medical publishers (P) Ltd. 2008: 521-538.
10. Maheshwari S, Khandhar AP. Quantitative Determination and Validation of Ivabradine HCl by Stability Indicating RP-HPLC Method and Spectrophotometric Method in Solid Dosage Form. Eurasian J Anal Chem. 2010; 5(1):53-62.
11. Preeti, Vijay A, Abhinav A, An Overview on Mouth Dissolving Tablet: From Manufacturing and Patented Technique to Quality Control Test.Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2022; 15 (11):7-13
12. Ragade, S. M.; Bari, M. M.; Barhate, S. D. Formulation and Evaluation of Candesartan Cilexetil Mouth Dissolving Tablet by Using Natural Superdisintegrant. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2018; 8 (3): 136. https://doi.org/10.5958/2231-5691.2018.00024.2.
13. Jeevana Jyothi B; Aparna J. Ivabradine Hydrochloride Directly Compressed Tablets Using Nano-Cellulose Extracted from Arachis Hypogaea Shells. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2019; 115–123.
14. Chawla G and Jain N: Mouth Dissolving Tablets: An Overview. International Journal Pharmaceutical Science and Research. 3(9); 2919-2925.
15. Dholakiya RB, Akbari BV, Shiyani BG, Patel GF, Ramani GK, Vekariya NR. The Effect of Various Superdisintegrating Agents on Mouth Dissolving Tablet of Ranitidine HCl. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010; 3(1): 175-178.
16. Raj, K.; Chandel, P.; Kapoor, A. Fast Dissolving Tablets: Needs to Enhance Bioavailability. International Research Journal of Pharmacy 2013, 4 (5), 51–58.
17. Morade, V. B.; Daga, V. R.; Malpure, P. R. Formulation and Evaluation of Mouth Dissolving Tablets of Zolmitriptan. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2018; 8 (1): 35. https://doi.org/10.5958/2231-5713.2018.00006.5.
18. Swamivelmanickam, M.; Venkatesan, P.; Sangeetha, G. Preparation and Evaluation of Mouth Dissolving Tablets of Loratadine by Direct Compression Method. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2020; 13 (6): 2629. https://doi.org/10.5958/0974-360x.2020.00467.9.
19. Geetika S, Rupinder K, Sukhdev S, Ajay K; Shivani S; Ramandeep S; Yogesh K. Mouth dissolving tablets: A current review of scientific literature. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Research. 2013;1(2):73-84
20. Govind, A.; Menden, M. B.; Ravikumar; Simila; Mercy; Swamy, V. N. Formulation and Evaluation of Mouth Dissolving Tablets of Deflazacort. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016; 6(2): 91. https://doi.org/10.5958/2231-5713.2016.00013.1.
21. Rao, K. S.; Khan, M.; Udgirkar, D.; Patil, P. S.; Biradar, K. V. Design and Evaluation of Meloxicam Mouth Dissolving Tablets. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2015; 7 (1): 44. https://doi.org/10.5958/0975-4377.2015.00007.5.
22. Akhtar MS. Formulation and evaluation of fast-dissolving tablets of antiepileptic drug. Universal Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2019; 4(6): 20-24.
23. Agrawal, Dr. D.; Goyal, Dr. R.; Bansal, Dr. M.; Sharma, A. K.; Khandelwal, M. Formulation, Development and Evaluation of Fast Dissolving Tablet of Meclofenamate Sodium by Using Natural Superdisintegrant (Banana Powder). International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research. 2021; 69 (2): 219-224.
24. Joshi, P.; Manju; Fateh, M. V.; Rao, N. G. R. Review on Mouth Dissolving Tablet. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2019; 9 (1): 42. https://doi.org/10.5958/2231-5691.2019.00008.x.
25. C Haranath, P Muralidhar, P Harish, et al. Comparative Study of Natural and Synthetic Superdisintegrating Agents in the Formulation of Oral Dispersible Tablets of Escitalopram-IP. Inventi Rapid: Novel Excipients. 2016; (3):1-8, 2016.
26. Jain, A. A.; Barhate, S. D. Formulation Optimization and Evaluation of Mouth Dissolving Tablet of Rizatriptan Benzoate by Using Natural Superdisintegrant. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Science. 2019; 9(4): 245. https://doi.org/10.5958/2231-5659.2019.00038.9.
27. Raj, A. R. U. N. R. Comparative Evaluation of Potato Starch and Banana Powder as Disintegrating Agents in Aceclofenac Tablet Formulation. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2013; 5 (2): 204–207.
28. Haque, I.; Kumar, R.; Narayanaswamy, V.; Hoque, M. Formulation and Evaluation of Montelukast Sodium Fast Dissolving Tablets. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2016; 6 (3): 159. https://doi.org/10.5958/2231-5691.2016.00023.x.
29. Kumari, B.; Soni, A.; Singla, S.; Goyal, S.; Thakur, S.; Mahant, S. Formulation and Evaluation of Mouth Dissolving Tablets Containing Losartan Potassium Using Natural Superdisinigrants. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research. 2017; 9 (05): 210-215.
30. K. V. Sri, R. H. K. Reddy and R. Mahesh. Diphendramine Hydrochloride Oral Dispersible Tablets: Preparation and Evaluation. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2014; 4(3): 123-128
31. Bhargava, V. H.; Sable, P. S.; Kulkarni, D. A.; Darekar, G. P. Formulation and Evaluation of Mouth Dissolving Tablet of Benazepril Hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021: 3161–3166. https://doi.org/10.52711/0974-360x.2021.00551.
32. Jha, A.; Chetia, D. Development of Natural Gum Based Fast Disintegrating Tablets of Glipizide. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2012; 6 (4):282.