Meloxicam, a new non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent mainly used for the treatment of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. The major drawback of meloxicam is its very low water solubility, which results in poor bioavailability after oral administration. Hence, an attempt was made to formulate fast dissolving tablets of meloxicam. The solid dispersions of meloxicam were prepared with PEG-4000 and PVP K30 by solvent evaporation method. The characterization of prepared solid dispersions by FTIR, XRPD and DSC, which reveals lack of interaction with carriers and dictates amorphous state of solid dispersions. Solid dispersion of meloxicam with PVP K30 (1:6) showed maximum dissolution, therefore compressed into tablets by using microcrystalline cellulose, lactose and crosspovidone. The dissolution profile of developed fast dissolving tablets containing solid dispersion of meloxicam (1:6) was studied. The formulated formulations showed optimum dissolution efficiency.
Cite this article:
Teena Malviya, Sunil Shah, Chandra Kishore Tyagi. Formulation Evaluation and Characterization of fast Dissolving Tablets of Meloxicam. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2021; 13(2):113-7. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2021.00020
Teena Malviya, Sunil Shah, Chandra Kishore Tyagi. Formulation Evaluation and Characterization of fast Dissolving Tablets of Meloxicam. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2021; 13(2):113-7. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2021.00020 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-13-2-5
1. Patidar A, Mishra P, Main P, Harsoliya M, Agrawal S, A review on- recent advancement in the development. Int J Life Sci and Pharm Res. 2011;1(1):7-8.
2. Bhowmik D, Chiranjib B, Krishnakanth, Margret RC. Fast Dissolving Tablet: An Overview. J Chemical and Pharm Res. 2009;1(1):163-177.
3. Biradar SS, Bhagavati ST, Kuppasad IJ. Fast Dissolving Drug Delivery Systems: A Brief Overview. Internet J Pharmacology. 2006;4 (1).
4. Chang R, Guo X, Burnside BA, Couch R. Fast-Dissolving Tablets. Pharm Tech. 2000;24(6):52-58.
5. Bandari S, Mittapalli RK, Gannu R, Rao YM. Orodispersible tablets: An overview. Asian J Pharm. 2008;2(1):2-11.
6. Bhowmik D, Jaiswal J, Dubey V, Chandira M. Fast dissolving tablet: A review on revolution of novel drug delivery system and new market opportunities. Scholar Res Library. 2009;1 (2):262-276.
7. Thakur RR, Kashi M. An unlimited scope for novel formulations as orally disintegrating systems: Present and future prospects. J Applied Pharm Sci. 2011;1(1): 13-19.
8. Ghosh T, Ghosh A, Prasad D. A review on new generation or dispersible tablets and its future prospective. Int J Pharmacy and Pharm Sci. 2011;3(1):1-7.
9. Kaur T, Gill B, Kumar S, Gupta GD. Mouth dissolving tablets: A novel approach to drug delivery. Int J Curr Pharm Res. 2011;3(1):1-7.
10. BhowmikD, Jaiswal J, DubeyJ, Chandira M. Fast dissolving tablet: A review on revolution of novel drug delivery system and new market opportunities. Scholar Research Library. 2009;1(2):262-276.
11. DivateS, Kunchu K, Sockan GN. Fast disintegrating tablets – An emerging trend, ISSN 0976 – 044X. 2011;6(2):222-234.
12. Sagar A. Konapure, Prafulla S. Chaudhari, OswalSS, Rishikesh V, Trushal V. Mouth dissolving tablets- An innovative technology Int J App Bio and Pharm Tech. 2011;2(1):496-503.
13. Gupta, Kumar A, Mishra DN, Singh SK. Formulation of rapid mouth dissolving tablets of Cetirizine di HCl using sublimation method. Int J Pharm Sci. 2011;3(1): 285-287.
14. Gaur AK, Tyagi A, Kori MA, Sharmab CR, Nemac RK. Formulation and evaluation of mouth dissolving tablets of DicyclomineHCl with enhanced bioavailability Sublimation. J Chem Pharm Res. 2011;3(4):55-61.
15. Goudanavar P, Hiremath D, Spandana D, Reddy SR. Development and Evaluation of Fast Disintegrating Tablets of GranisetronHCl with Natural and Synthetic Polymers, Asian J Pharm Res. 2011; 1(3):72-77.
16. Gupta SC, Gurjar R, Khambete H, Jain S. Formulation and evaluation of mouth dissolving tablets of DicyclomineHCl with enhanced bioavailability. J Chem Pharm Res. 2011;3(4):55-61.
17. Siraj S, Nazim S, Gomase P, Afsar S, Majaj Q. Formulation and Evaluation of Aceclofenac Fast Dissolving Tablets. Int Res J Pharmacy.2011;2(1):100-105.
18. Sharma S, Sharma N, Gupta GD. Formulation of Fast-Dissolving Tablets of Promethazine Theoclate. Trop J Pharm Res. 2010; 9(5): 489-497.
19. Kumar ND, Shirsand SB. Para MS. Design of fast dissolving Granisetron HCL tablets using novel co –processed superdisintegrants. Int J Pharm Sci Rev and Res. 2010;1(1):58-62.
20. Hindustan AA, Chitta SK, Reddy KK, Kumar A, Chandra S, Sairam K, Sivaji S. A Novel Technique in Formulation and Evaluation of Mouth Dissolving Nimesulide Tablets. J Adv Pharm Res. 2010;1(2):101-107.
21. Modasiya MK, Lala I, Prajapati BG, Patel VM, Shah DA. Design and Characterization of Fast Disintegrating Tablets of Piroxicam. Int J Pharm Tech Res. 2009; 2(1): 353-357.
22. Mahapatra AK, Murty PN, Sahoo SK. Formulation Design and opyimization of Mouth Dissolving Tablets of levocetrizinehydrochlorideu using sublimation method Ind J Pharm Edu and Res. 2009; 43(1): 39-45.