Chitosan was hydrophobically modified as N-Butyryl chitosan (NBC), N-Lauroyl chitosan (NLC) were synthesized and characterized by FTIR, NMR, XRD, modified chitosan were having about 14 % degree of substitution and varying solubility. Further evaluation of synthesized N-acyl chitosan to loaded Zolmitriptan HCl as nanoparticle by ionotropic method with cross linking by TPP. Average particle size, drug loading, entrapment efficiency and in-vitro mucoadhesion of Zolmitriptan HCl loaded nanoparticle was 150.7±3.3nm, 24.80±1.1% and 54.96±3.8% respectively, with positive zeta potential which were directly correlated with increases bulkiness of the acyl substitution in the modified chitosan except zeta potential was found inversely correlated. TEM and SEM imaging relieved spherical structure of nanoparticle. In vitro release of Zolmitriptan HCl in 1.2 pH HCl buffer and pH 7.4 phosphate buffer solutions showed biphasic release pattern best fitted with Korsmeyer’s-Peppas kinetics with fickian transport mechanism. Acylated chitosan showed sustained release reducing with increasing length of acyl group. Result of the present study showed that hydrophobically modified acylated chitosan can be useful for achieving sustained release controlled by acylation modification.
Cite this article:
Wajid Ahmad, Jaza Quazi. Formulation and Evaluation as Sustain Released Nanoparticles for Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride for the enhanced Bioavailability and Better Therapeutic Action by using Chitosan as a Permeation Enhancer. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology.2023; 15(2):85-0. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2023.00015
Wajid Ahmad, Jaza Quazi. Formulation and Evaluation as Sustain Released Nanoparticles for Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride for the enhanced Bioavailability and Better Therapeutic Action by using Chitosan as a Permeation Enhancer. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology.2023; 15(2):85-0. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2023.00015 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-15-2-3
1. Hassan, E.E., Parish, R.C., Gallo, J.M., . Optimized formulation of magnetic chitosan microspheres containing the anticancer agent, oxantrazole. Pharmaceutical Research. 1992, 9, 390–397.
2. Muzzarelli, R.A.A., Boudrant, J., Meyer, D., Manno, N., DeMarchis. M., Paoletti, M.G. Current views on fungal chitin/chitosan, human chitinases, food preservation, glucans, pectins and inulin: A tribute to Henri Braconnot, precursor of the carbohydrate polymers science, on the chitin biocentennial. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2012, 87, 995–1012.
3. Malviya VR, Pande SD, Bobade NN. Preparation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Beads of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(12):5972-6.
4. Atkins, E.D.T. Conformation in polysaccharides and complex. carbohydrates J Biosci. 1985, 8, 375-387.
5. Malviya VR, Pande SD. Road CKN. Preparation ad Evaluation of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride Lozenge. J Pharma Res. 2019; 8(8):624-9.
6. Wang, Y.S., Liu, L.R., Jiang, Q., Zhang, Q.Q. Self-aggregated nanoparticles of cholesterol-modified chitosan conjugates as a novel carrier of epirubicin. Eur Polym J. 2007, 43, 43-53.
7. Malviya V, Thakur Y, Gudadhe SS, Tawar M. Formulation and evaluation of natural gum based fast dissolving tablet of Meclizine hydrochloride by using 3 factorial design 2. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2020; 6(2):94-100.
8. Malviya V, Manekar S. Design, Development and Evaluation of Aceclofenac and Curcumin Agglomerates by Crystallo Co-Agglomeration Technique. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Mar 18; 14(3):1535-41.
9. Zhang, C., Qineng, P., Zhang, H. Self-assembly and characterization of paclitaxel-loaded N-octyl-O-sulfate chitosan micellar system. Colloids Surf Biointerfaces. 2004, 39, 69-75.
10. Malviya V. Preparation and Evaluation of Emulsomes as a Drug Delivery System for Bifonazole. Indian journal of pharmaceutical education and research. 2021 Jan 1; 55(1):86-94.
11. Malviya V, Ladhake V, Gajbiye K, Satao J, Tawar M. Design and Characterization of Phase Transition System of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride for Nasal Drug Delivery System. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 May 31; 13(3):4942-51.
12. Curotto, E., Aros, F. Quantitative determination of chitosan and the percentage of free amino groups. Anal Biochem. 1993, 211, 240-241.
13. Ma, Z., Yeoh, H.H., Lim, L.Y. Formulation pH modulates the interaction of insulin with chitosan nanoparticles. J. Pharm. Sci.2002, 91, 1396–1404.
14. Morris, G.A., Kök, S.M., Harding, S.E., Adams, G.G. Polysaccharide drug delivery systems based on pectin and chitosan. Biotechnol Genet Eng Rev. 2010, 27, 257–284.
15. Malviya VR, Tawar MG. Preparation and Evaluation of Oral Dispersible Strips of Teneligliptin Hydrobromide for Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 Jan 31; 13(1):4745-52.
16. Malviya V, Pande S. Development and Evaluation of Fast dissolving Film of Fluoxetine hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Oct 31; 14(10):5345-0.
17. Kothule KU, Kesharwani P, Gidwani SK, Gide P. Development and characterization of chitosan nanoparticles and improvement of oral bioavailability of poorly water soluble acyclovir. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010; 3(4):1241-5.
18. Shinde AJ, More HN. Lovastatin loaded chitosan nanoparticles: preparation, evaluation and in vitro release studies. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(12):1869-76.
19. Burange PJ, Tawar MG, Bairagi RA, Malviya VR, Sahu VK, Shewatkar SN, Sawarkar RA, Mamurkar RR. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by using Aloe vera and Thuja orientalis leaves extract and their biological activity: a comprehensive review. Bulletin of the National Research Centre. 2021 Dec; 45(1):1-3.
20. Dhamane SP, Jagdale SC. Development of Rifampicin loaded Chitosan nanoparticles by 32 full Factorial design. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(6):2545-50.
21. Kumar S, Somasundaram I. Development and Evaluation of Pramipexole Dihydrochloride and Piperine Loaded Chitosan Nanoparticles for Improved Treatment of Parkinson's Disease. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(12):5822-6.
22. Prabhakar C, Krishna KB. A review on polymeric nanoparticles. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(4):496-8.
23. Rezkita F, Wibawa KG, Nugraha AP. Curcumin loaded Chitosan nanoparticle for accelerating the post extraction wound healing in diabetes mellitus patient: a review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(2):1039-42.
24. Sukumaran SK. Development and Evaluation of Naringenin Loaded Chitosan Nanoparticles for Improved Treatment of Neurotoxicity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(1):129-34.
25. Malviya V. Design and Characterization of Thermosensitive Mucoadhesive Nasal Gel for Meclizine Hydrochloride. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2022 Feb 28; 15(1):5782-93.
26. Malviya V, Burange P, Thakur Y, Tawar M. Enhancement of Solubility and Dissolution Rate of Atazanavir Sulfate by Nanocrystallization. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2021 Jul 1; 55(3):S672-80.