The paper is aimed to provide a comprehensive review on nanoparticles, methods of preparation, applications in drug delivery. In recent years, there has been an exponential interest within the development of novel drug delivery systems using nanoparticles. Nanoparticles offers significant advantages over the conventional drug delivery in terms of high stability, high specificity, high drug carrying capacity, ability for controlled release, possibility to use in several route of administration and therefore the capability to deliver both hydrophilic and hydrophobic drug molecules. This review focuses on classification, methods of preparation, characterization, application, advantages of nanoparticles and health perspectives.
Cite this article:
Pandey Swarnima, Kumar Sushant. Nanoparticulate Drug Delivery Systems: An update. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2021; 13(4):312-6. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2021.00051
Pandey Swarnima, Kumar Sushant. Nanoparticulate Drug Delivery Systems: An update. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2021; 13(4):312-6. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2021.00051 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-13-4-8
1. Allemann E., Gurny R., Doekler E. Drug-loaded nanoparticlespreparation methods and drug targeting issues. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 1993; 39: 173-91.
2. Betancor L. and Luckarift HR. 2008 Trends Biotechnol. 26 566 Dunne M, Corrigan
3. Bodmeier R., Chen H. Indomethacin polymeric nanosuspensions prepared by micro- fluidization. J Control Release. 1990; 12: 223-33.
4. Catarina PR., Ronald JN., Antonio JR. Nano capsulation 1. Method of preparation of drug-loaded polymeric nanoparticles: Nano technology, Biology and medicine. 2006; 2: 8-21.
5. Garcia, E., Andrieux, K., Gil, S. and Couvreur, P., 2005. Colloidal carriers and blood-brain barrier (BBB) translocation: a way to deliver drugs to the brain?. Int J Pharm, 298(2): pp. 274-292.
6. Keservani, R.K., Anil K. Sharma, A.K. and Kesharwani, R.K., 2019 This new volume, Nanocarriers for Brain Targeting: Principles and Applications, CRC Press.
7. Cheng Y., Wang J., Rao T., He X., Xu T. Pharmaceutical applications of dendrimers: promising nanocarriers for drug delivery. Front Biosci. 2008; 13: 1447-71.
8. Couvreur P., Dubernet C., Puisieux F. Controlled drug delivery with Nano particles: current possibilities and future trends. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 1995; 41: 2-13.
9. Chorney M, DAneuberg H, Golomb G., Lipophilic drug loaded nanospheres by nano precipitation: effect of the formulation variables on size, drug recovery and release kinetics., J Control release., 2002; 83: 389- 400
10. Puglisi G, Fresta M, Giammona G, Ventura CA., Influence of the preparation conditions on poly (ethylcyanoacrylate) nanocapsule formation., Int J Pharm., 1995; 125: 283-287.
11. Calvo P, Remunan-Lopez C, Vila-Jato JL Alonso MJ., Novel hydrophilic chitosanpolyethylene oxide nanoprticles as protein carriers., J Appl Polymer Sci., 1997; 63: 125-132.
12. Calvo P, Remunan-Lopez C, Vila-Jato JL, Alonso MJ., Chitosan and chitosan/ethyleneoxide-propylene oxide block copolymer nanoparticles as novel carriers for proteins and vaccines., Pharm Res., 1997; 14: 1431-1436.
13. Singh SS, Fenniri H, Singh B., Nanotechnology based drug delivery systems., J Occup Med Toxicol. 2007; 2: 16.
14. Zhang Z, Yang X, Zhang Y, Zeng B, Wang S, Zhu T., Delivery of telomerase reverse transcriptase small interfering RNA in complex with positively charged single-walled carbon nanotubes suppresses tumor growth., Clin Cancer Res., 2006; 12: 4933–9.
15. G.O. Birajdar, V.S. Kadam, A.G. Chintale, P.D. Halle, M.K. Nabde, K.S. Maske. A Comprehensive Review on Nanotechnology. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. May 2013; 6(5): 486-495.
16. Devi karthiga G., Suruthi P., Veerkumar R., Vinoth S.R., Subbaiya “A Review on Metallic Gold and Silver Nanoparticles” Research J. Pharm. and Tech. February 2019; 12(2): 935-943
17. C, N Hemalatha, kumar Prasanna Yeswnth, M Annandhi Vijey “Formulation and Characterization of Nanoparticles Loaded with Cefadroxil” Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(1): 183-187
18. Ch.Prabhakar, K. Bala Krishna,"A Review on Polymeric Nanoparticles"Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4(4): 496-498
19. Hans, M.L. and Lowman, A.M., 2002. Biodegradable nanoparticles for drug delivery and targeting. Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science, 6: pp. 319–327.
20. Suhesti Sri Tuti, Fudholi Achmad, Martien Ronny, Martono Sudibyo"Pharmaceutical nanoparticle technologies: An approach to improve drug solubility and dissolution rate of Piroxicam"Research J. Pharm. and Tech. April 2017; 10(4): 968-974.
21. S Kalaiselvi, v Manimaran, N Damodharan "Nanoparticle as a powerful tool to penetrate the Blood-brain barrier in the treatment of neurodegenerative disease: Focus on recent advances" Research J. Pharm. and Tech. May 2020; 13(5): 2135-2143., DOI: 10.5958/ 0974-360X.2020.00384.4
22. Jain Aditya, Rajeshkumar S, Roy Anitha "Anti inflammatory activity of Silver nanoparticles synthesised using Cumin oil" Research J. Pharm. and Tech. June 2019; 12(6): 2790-2793, DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00469.
23. Velraj Malarkodi, Shiney, Jasmine P, Paul Biplab, Nivethitha S."Biosynthesis of Silver Nano Particles from the Ethanolic Extract Fruits of Mallotus phillipensis"Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(1): 21-25, DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00006.3,
24. Rao Vyshuk Chitneni, V Manimaran, N Damodharan,"Review on Methods, Applications and Role of gold nano particles in Cancer Therapy"Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(8): 3963-3968, DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00701.5
25. Sachin, Gupta Vishal "Solid Lipid Nanoparticles – Preparation, Applications, Characterization, Uses in Various Cancer Therapies: A Review Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2013; 6(8): 825-837
26. KumarDinesh, Verma Prasad Ranjan Priya"Development of a poly (ε Caprolactone) based nanoparticles for oral delivery of Quercetin "Research J. Pharm. and Tech. July 2015; 8(7): 836-840, DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2015.00136.5