New technologies, prospects and scope, which are expected to have major applications in disease diagnostics and therapeutics, are introduced in the most emerging branch of pharmaceutical sciences known as Pharmaceutical nanotechnology. Pharmaceutical nanotechnology comprised of nano-sized products and which can be transformed in numerous ways to improve their characteristics. A Nanosponge is a novel and emerging technology, which offers targeted and controlled drug delivery for topical as well as oral use. The tiny sponges will circulate around the body. They touch and adhere to the surface of the particular target site and begin to release the drug in a regulated and predictable way. Since, the medication can be released at the specific target site rather than circulating around the body. It would be more effective for a specific dose given. The aqueous solubility of these sponges is another significant characteristic. This enables the efficient use of these systems for drugs with poor solubility. Both lipophilic as well as hydrophilic drugs can be loaded into nanosponges. Nanosponges drug delivery system has emerged as one of the most promising areas of life sciences.
Cite this article:
Rajkumar Prasad Yadav, F. R. Sheeba. Nanosponges - Overview. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2021; 13(2):127-3. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2021.00023
Rajkumar Prasad Yadav, F. R. Sheeba. Nanosponges - Overview. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2021; 13(2):127-3. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2021.00023 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-13-2-8
1. Bhowmik H, Venkatesh DN, Kuila A, Kumar KH. Nanosponge- A review. Int J App Pharm. 2018; 1(5): 1-26.
2. Vyas SP, Khar RK. Targeted and controlled drug delivery –Novel carriers system: Molecular basis of targeted drug delivery. CBS Publishers and Distributors: New Delhi: 38-40.
3. Shivani, Poladi. Nanosponges - novel emerging drug delivery system: A review. Int J Pharm Sci Res. 2015; 6 (2): 529-40.
4. Panda S, Vijayalakshmi Sv, Pattnaik S, Swain RP. Nanosponges: A novel carrier for targeted drug delivery. Int J Pharm Tech Res. 2015; 7(8): 213-24.
5. Selvamuthukumar S, Anandam S, Krishnamoorthy K, Rajappan M. Nanosponges: A novel class of drug delivery system-review. J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2012; 15: 103-11.
6. Patel Ek, Oswal RJ. Nanosponge and micro sponges: A novel drug delivery system. Int J Res Pharma Chem. 2012; 2(2): 237-44.
7. Naga S J, Nissankararao S, Bhimavarapu R, Lakshmi S S, Vinusha K. Nanosponges: A versatile drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Life Sci.2013; 4 (8): 2920-5.
8. Reddy NN, Parusha S, Ayyanna, Lavanya, Kumar U, Priyanka. Fabrication and Characterization of Itraconazole Loaded Nanosponge Gel. World J Pharm Res. 2019; 5(8): 1184-204.
9. Subramanian S, Singireddy A, Krishnamoorthy K, Rajappan M. Nanosponges: A novel class of drug delivery system – review. J Pharm Pharm Sci.2012; 15(1) 103 – 11.
10. Sri KV, Santhoshini G, Sankar DR, Niharika K. Formulation and evaluation of rutin loaded nanosponges. Asian J Res Pharm Sci. 2018; 8(1): 21-4.
11. Simranjot K, Sandeep K. Nanosponges: Present aspects and future challenges. Indo Ame J Pharm Sci. 2018: 5(9): 9390-8.
12. Ghurghure SM, Pathan MSA, Surwase PR. Nanosponges: A novel approach for targeted drug delivery system. Int J Chem Studies. Volume 2; Issue 6; November 2018; 2(6): 15-23.
13. Subhash PB, Dr. S. K. Mohite. Formulation design and development of artesunate nanosponge. European J Pharm Med Res. 2016; 3(5): 206-11.
14. Jilsha G, Viswanand V. Nanosponges: A novel approach of drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Sci Res. 2013; 19(2): 119-23.
15. Panda S, Vijaylakshmi Sv, Pattnaik S, Swain RP. Nanosponge: A novel carrier for drug delivery. Int J Pharm Tech Res. 2015; 8(7): 213-24.
16. Tukaram S P, Nalawade NA, Kakade VK, Kale SN. Nanosponges: A Novel targeted drug delivery for cancer treatment. Int J Adv Res Dev.2017; 2(4): 54-62.
17. Rajeswari C, Alka A, Javed A, Khar R K: Cyclodextrins in drug delivery: an update review. Ame Assoc Pharm Sci Tech, 2013; 6(2): 329-57.
18. Ghurghure SM, Pathan MSA, Surwase PR. Nanosponges: A novel approach for targeted drug delivery system. Int J Chem Studies. 2018; 6(2): 15-3.
19. Trotta, F, Cavalli R., Vavia PR and Khalid A: Cyclodextrin nanosponge as effective gas carriers. Int J Pharm Life Sci. 2013; 4 (8): 2920-5.