P. Rajesh Kumar, M. Ravinder Nayak, A. Srinivasa Rao
Dr. P. Rajesh Kumar1*, M. Ravinder Nayak1, Dr. A. Srinivasa Rao2
1Department of Pharmaceutics, Bhaskar Pharmacy College, JNTUH, Hyderabad - 500075, Telangana, India.
2Department of Pharmacy Practice, Bhaskar Pharmacy College, JNTUH, Hyderabad - 500075, Telangana, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2021
Cubosomes are altered cubic phase systems, which are emerging as promising drug delivery system for the delivery of both hydrophilic and lipophilic drugs. Docetaxel is an antineoplastic agent that has a unique mechanism of action as an inhibitor of cellular mitosis and that currently plays a central role in the therapy of many solid tumors including breast and lung cancer. Docetaxel in the form of cubosomes. The main aim of present research was to encapsulate, Docetaxel in cubosomes for sustained drug release. Docetaxel loaded cubosomes were prepared by Bottom-Up Method technique using Glyceryl Mono Oleate and pluronic F-127 and Pluronic F68 in different ratios. The prepared formulations were subjected to evaluation studies for excipient compatibility, particle size, drug content, entrapment efficiency and In vitro drug release. The maximum entrapment efficiency was found as 90.15% with, and In vitro drug release as 99.37%. Stability studies were also conducted for the formulations as per protocol mentioned in ICH guidelines. These results suggest that the cubosomal formulation F4 is suitable for the delivery of Docetaxel.
Cite this article:
P. Rajesh Kumar, M. Ravinder Nayak, A. Srinivasa Rao. Formulation Design and In-vitro Characterization of Docetaxel Cubosomes for Gastric Cancer therapy. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2021; 13(3):179-4. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2021.00032
P. Rajesh Kumar, M. Ravinder Nayak, A. Srinivasa Rao. Formulation Design and In-vitro Characterization of Docetaxel Cubosomes for Gastric Cancer therapy. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2021; 13(3):179-4. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2021.00032 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-13-3-3
1. Almeida JD, Brand CM, Edwards DC and Heath TD. Formation of virosomes from influenza subunits and liposomes. Lancet. 1975, 2: 899-901.
2. Spicer PT. Cubosomes bicontinuous cubic liquid crystalline nanostructured particles. The Procter and Gamble Company, West Chester, Ohio, USA. 2004.
3. Rizwan SB, Dong YD, Boyd BJ, Rades T and Hook S. Characterization of bicontinuous cubic liquid crystalline systems of phytantriol and water using cryo field emission scanning electron microscopy. Micron. 2007, 38: 478–485.
4. Deepak P, Dharmesh S. Cubosomes: A Sustained Drug Delivery Carrier. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2011, 1(3): 59-62.
5. Tilekar KB, Khade PH, Kakade S, Kotwal S and Patil R. Cubosomes a drug delivery system. International Journal of Chemical and Biochemical Science. 2014, 4: 812-824.
6. Karami Z and Hamidi M. Cubosomes: Remarkable drug delivery potential. Drug Discovery Today. 2016, 21: 789–801.
7. Urvi S, Dhiren D, Bhavin P, Patel U and Shah R. Overview of cubosomes: A Nanoparticle. In. J of Ph. and Integ. Life Sci., 2013, 1(5): 36-47.
8. Stroem P and Anderson DM. The cubic phase region in the system didodecyl dimethyl ammonium bromide-water-styrene. Langmuir. 1992, 8(2): 691-709.
9. Mahawar S. A Simple ultraviolet spectrophotometric method for the estimation of Docetaxel in bulk drug and formulation. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2013, 3(2): 48-52.
10. Rajesh Kumar P, Somashekar S, M Mallikarjuna GM, Shanta Kumar SM. A sensitive UV spectrophotometric analytical method development, validation and preformulation studies of Clarithromycin. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2011, 4(2): 242-246.
11. Hemchand S., Ravi Chandra Babu R., Mathrusri Annapurna M. New validated stability-indicating RP-HPLC method for the determination of Docetaxel and its related substances. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2019; 12(9):4165-4181
12. Mallikarjuna GM, Somashekar S, Rajesh Kumar P, Shanta kumar SM. Analytical Method Development, Validation studies of a Fluoroquinolone chemotherapeutic antibiotic and its Characterization studies. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2011, 4(3): 433-436
13. Mahawar S. Development and Characterization of Docetaxel Encapsulated pH-Sensitive Liposomes for Cancer Therapy. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2013; 5(3): 151-160.
14. Rajani T, Mahesh G, Chandra Shekhar Reddy B. Formulation and Evaluation of Dexamethasone Loaded Cubosomes. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(2):709-714.
15. Karishma K, Vinay P, Upendra N. Topical Methotrexate Cubosomes in Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis: Ex-Vivo and In-Vivo Studies. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):991-996.
16. Ashok Reddy B, Satish S, Sankara G, Adithya S, Sai Kishore V. Influence of Solvents on Entrapment Efficiency and Drug Release rate of Propranolol Hydrochloride from Ethyl Cellulose Microcapsules. Asian J. Research Chem. 2011, 4(1): 143-146.
17. Prasant Kumar R, Amitava G, Udaya Kumar N, Bhabani Shankar N. Formulation Design, Preparation of Losartan Potassium Microspheres by w/o emulsion solvent evaporation method and in vitro characterization. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2009, 2 (3): 513-516.
18. Ramanuj Prasad S, Pratap Kumar S. Formulation and Evaluation of Solid Lipid Nanoparticle of Felbamate for improved Drug Delivery. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(1):285-288.
19. Rajesh Kumar P, Jagannath M, Earshad Md, Gowtham K.K, Hafsa M, Shanta Kumar S.M. Studies on losartan novel extrudates design and evaluation to treat hypertension. J. Applied Pharm. Sci. 2012; 2 (11): 108-113. http://www.japsonline.com; DOI: 10.7324/JAPS.2012.21119
20. Pramod S, Sapna A, Nikhil B. Development and evaluation of sustained release dosage form using hydrophilic and hydrophobic materials. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(5): 481-489.
21. Umamaheswari. R, Kothai S. Effectiveness of Copper nanoparticles loaded microsponges on drug release study, cytotoxicity and wound healing activity. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(9):4357-4360.
22. Angelov B, Angelova A and Garamus VM. Earliest stage of the tetrahedral nanochannel formation in cubosome particles from unilamellar nanovesicles. Langmuir. 2012, 28(48): 16647–16655.