India officially the Republic of India is a country in South Asia. The Indian Pharmaceutical Industry has shown the strongest performance in recent years. Not only did the industry improve its production performance seen in the previous decades, the industry turned into a net foreign exchange earner during the decade and become stronger in R&D after COVID19 pandemic. As world is looking at India as manufacturing hub, India is in driving seat for the bright future in the manufacturing and R&D. India currently holds an accountable share and is known as pharmacy of the world and one of biggest generic supplier. India gained its foothold on the global scene with its innovatively engineered generic drugs and active pharmaceutical ingredients (API). India will be the important player in manufacturing market for the COVID19 vaccine manufacturing as India hold great power to production in huge amount. Local firms have slowly been investing more money into their R&D programs or have formed alliances to tap into these opportunities. This period has been a trying time for the manufacturing industries in general, and highlighted the urgency for India to become self-reliant. Though the ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ there is growth after a brief pause, the continuing pandemic has affected the “self-reliant” discourse quickly. The Post pandemic could be the new era for Pharmaceutical industry for India.
Cite this article:
Himan Patel. The Indian Pharmaceutical Industry: A bright future awaits in the new decade. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2021; 13(2):161-3. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2021.00029
Himan Patel. The Indian Pharmaceutical Industry: A bright future awaits in the new decade. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2021; 13(2):161-3. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2021.00029 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-13-2-14
1. Indian Pharmaceutical Industry, A review Available from: URL: https://www.ibef.org/industry/pharmaceutical-india.aspx
2. "Indian Pharmaceuticals Industry Analysis: A Sectoral Presentation". India Brand Equity Foundation. Retrieved 27 May 2019.
3. Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, A review Available from: URL: https://pharmaceuticals.gov.in/
4. Indian pharmaceuticals - a formula for success A review available from: URL: https://www.investindia.gov.in/sector/pharmaceuticals
5. India playing ‘pharmacy of the world' role during Covid-19 crisis: SCO Secretary-General, A review available from: URL: https://health.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/industry/india-playing-pharmacy-of-the-world-role-during-covid-19-crisis-sco-secretary-general/76492871
6. Voluntary Licensing Agreements for Remdesivir A review available from: URL: https://www.gilead.com/purpose/advancing-global-health/covid-19/voluntary-licensing-agreements-for-remdesivir
7. "Top India Trade Partners", A review available from: URL www.worldsrichestcountries.com. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
8. Future of Pharmaceutical industry in India, A review available from: URL: https://www.orfonline.org/expert-speak/future-of-pharmaceutical-industry-in-india/