In the presented work formulation and in-vitro evaluation was carried out for tablets containing Valsartan as Sustained Release using HPMC and Beta-Cyclodextrin polymers by wet granulation method. The tablets were subjected to in-vitro drug release study in hydrochloric acid buffer of pH 1.2 (0.1N) with 1% w/v SLS using USP paddle apparatus. The drug released at various time intervals were determined by validated UPLC-PDA method. The prepared tablets showed better sustained release effect when compared with marketed tablets. The formulated tablets provided sustained release of Valsartan over a period of 24 h.
Cite this article:
Hamid Khan. Formulation and In-Vitro Evaluation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablets of Valsartan using Beta-Cyclodextrin. Res. J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech.2020; 12(4):245-248. doi: 10.5958/0975-4377.2020.00040.3
1. The Merck Index an Encyclopaedia of chemicals. (2001). Drugs, and biological. Merck Research Laboratories, Whitehouse station. 13th Edition, New Jersey, pp. 1705.
2. Chawra HS, Tanwar YS, Singh SK. Formulation and characterization of floating matrix tablets for an antihypertensive drug: Valsartan. The Pharma Innovation Journal, 2018; 7(9): 09-16.
3. Swathi G, Chowdhary KPR, Rao M. Formulation development of Valsartan floating tablets employing a new modified starch-Optimization by 23 factorial designs. Indo American J Pharm Sci, 2017; 4 (04): 793-801.
4. Sokanki ND, Shah S, Patel J, Upadhyay P. Formulation and evaluation of once a day bilayer floating tablet of antihypertensive drug involving dissolution enhancement approach. Der Pharmacia Sinica, 2013; 4(5):54-66.
5. Prasanthi S, Vidyavathi M. Optimization of Valsartan Floating Tablets by 32 Factorial Design. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2017; 11 (3): S625-S634.
6. Reddy SK, Swain SK, Chowdary KPR, Prasad SV. Optimization of Valsartan SR Floating Tablet Formulation by 22 Factorial Design and Multiple Regression Technique. Int Res J Pharmacy and Medical Sci, 2018; 1(5): 11-15.
7. Kumar A, Kumar G. Formulation and evaluation of once a day matrix tablets of Valsartan. Int J Drug Delivery, 2015; 7 (4): 208-222.
8. Mohiuddin. Development of sustained release tablet of Valsartan. W J Pharm Pharm Sci., 2014; 3(5): 1196-1205.
9. Mahajan P, Mahajan S, Mishra K. Valsartan release from sustained release matrix tablet and effect of cellulose derivatives. Int. J. Pharm. Life Sci., 2011; 2(1): 521-530.
10. Akelesh T, John A, Timane SR. Formulation and evaluation of Valsartan sustained release matrix tablet using Oryza Sativa Hull. Int J Innovative Pharm Sci Res, 2014; 2(6): 1135-1143
11. Kumar AA, Kumari MS, Surekha K, Prasad SS, Suresh S. Formulation and evaluation of sustained release Valsartan matrix tablets by using narural polymers. Int J Pharm, Chemical Bio Sci, 2012; 2(2): 146-150
12. Gunda RK, Rao P, Thangavel V. A statistical study on the formulation development of sustained release tablets for Valsartan sodium, MOJ Drug Design Development and Therapy, 2018; 2(5): 217-222.
13. Pavani C, Swapna V, Sravani, Sudha, Ramya. Formulation and Evaluation of Floating Sustained Release Tablets of Valsartan for Gastro-Retentive Drug Delivery. Research J. Pharm. and Tech., 2014; 7(8): 825-829.
14. Bhamare PS, Sonawane MP, Surawase RK. Formulation and evaluation of sustained release Valsartan matrix tablet by using natural gums. Indo American J Pharm Sci, 2016; 3(5): 536-545
15. Sridhar G, Sivaneswari S, Preethi N, Mounika B, Hemalatha G, Murthy V. Influence of natural gums as sustain release carriers on release kinetics of Valsartan matrix tablets. RJPDFT, 2014; 6(3): 188-193
16. Mishra DK, Jain DK Formulation and evaluation of Valsartan sustained release matrix tablets. Bulletin of Pharmaceutical Research, 2014; 4(2):81-85
17. Shah S, Patel R. Development and optimization of press coated tablets of release engineered Valsartan for pulsatile delivery. Drug Dev Ind Pharmacy, 2015; 41(11): 1835-1846.
18. Nayak BS, Mishra SR, Roy H. Valsartan Fast Dissolving Tablets: Formulation and In vitro Characterization. J Chem Pharm Res, 2018; 10(3):182-189
19. Rani P, Madhavi R. Formulation and evaluation of sustained release mucoadhesive buccal films of Valsartan using natural mucoadhesive polymers. World J Pharm Res, 2018; 7(1):1637-1661.
20. Tiwari G, Tiwari R, Rai AK. Cyclodextrins in delivery systems: Applications. J Pharm Bioallied Sci, 2010; 2(2): 72-79.
21. Hogan JE. Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose sustained release technology. Drug Dev Ind Pharm, 1989; 15(6-7): 975-999.
22. Rajabi SA, Jordan MP. Slow release HPMC matrix systems. Eur. Pharm. Rev., 2000; 5(4): 21-23.
23. International Conference on Harmonization, ICH Q2 (R1), Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and methodology, Geneva, 2005.
24. United States Pharmacopoeia. United States Pharmacopoeia-national formulary (USP24/NF 19): United States Pharmacopoeial Convention, Rockville, MD, 2002; pp. 16.
25. Rawlins EA. Bentley’s Textbook of Pharmaceutics; All India Traveller Book Seller: Delhi, India, 2004; pp. 641-665.
26. Higuchi WI. Analysis of data on the medicament release from ointments. J Pharm Sci, 1962; 51(8): 802-804.