Author(s): Salma Banu S.K., Venkateswara Rao T.

Email(s): salma_banu08@yahoo.com

DOI: Not Available

Address: Salma Banu S.K.* and Venkateswara Rao T.
Bapatla College of Pharmacy, Bapatla Educational Society, Bapatla, Guntur district, Andhra Pradesh-522101
*Corresponding Author

Published In:   Volume - 4,      Issue - 1,     Year - 2012


ABSTRACT:
Glipizide, a second generation sulfonylurea is effective in controlling the blood glucose in patients with Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus. As Glipizide possess short biological half life (2-4 hrs), the concept of Bi-layered tablet technology was used to formulate Glipizide as Sustained release tablet formulation. In order to overcome the disproportionate release of drug during intial period in case of general sustained release tablet formulations the concept of Bilayered tablets was utilized. Moreover by fabricating drugs in the form of Bilayered tablets, one can improve the Cmax and the speed of appearance of the drug in patient. Bilayered tablets formulated through Direct Compression was comprised of immediate, sustained release layers were formulated and evaluated through %Weight variation, Hardness, Friability, %Drug content, Swelling index and In-vitro drug release studies. 30% of the drug present in the immediate release layer was released within first 20 minutes and the remaining 70% of the drug release was sustained based on the polymer selected. The formulation comprised of HPC and HPMC as the polymers sustained the drug release for 12hrs and was found to be the best formulations.


Cite this article:
Salma Banu S.K., Venkateswara Rao T.. Design and Development of Sustained Release Bilayered Tablets of Glipizide. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2012; 4(1):24-31 .


Recomonded Articles:

Author(s): Patil Namrata D., Gondkar S.B., Saudagar R.B.

DOI: 10.5958/0975-4377.2016.00033.1         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Debjit Bhowmik, Amrendra Singh , Praveen Khirwadkar, Nishi Shukla, Vikas Kumar Chaudhari

DOI: 10.5958/0975-4377.2016.00027.6         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Masheer Ahmed Khan

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Sawant VA, Jayprabha P, Shende VS, Borkar SN, Wakale VS, Deore SR, Dame GY, Barve AO, Chatap VK

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Yamunappa, Ravi Kumar, Pooja Shetty, Prathibha Suvarna, Narayana Swamy VB

DOI: 10.5958/0975-4377.2016.00014.8         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): V Ganesan, Nilesh P Tekade, Nitin S Bhajipale, Durgesh R Dewade, Raju R Thenge

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): AL. Akilandeshwari , K. Elango, S. Daisy Chellakumari, S. Kishore Kumar

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Suresh A. Marnoor

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Swati Rawat, Shradha Sangali, Akhilesh Gupta

DOI: 10.5958/0975-4377.2018.00001.0         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Sachin N. Kothawade, Ashwini Ishware, Priyanka Darekar, Amit S. Lunkad

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Viswanadham Manasa, K.Vanitha, M. Venkataswamy, P. Prabhakar, Alluri Ramesh

DOI: 10.5958/0975-4377.2016.00002.1         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Bhoyar PK, Biyani DM, Shahare HV, Ikhar PK,Borkar VS

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Doppalapudi Sandeep, A. P. Pratyusha, G. Sudheshna, K. Lakshmi prasanna, P. Sreekanth

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Amit K. Jain, Rajput Rammulrajsinh, Pradeep Agrawal, Kinal patel

DOI:         Access: Open Access Read More

Author(s): Chinmaya Keshari Sahoo, Surepalli Ram Mohan Rao, Muvvala Sudhakar

DOI: 10.5958/0975-4377.2017.00020.9         Access: Open Access Read More

Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology (RJPDFT) is an international, peer-reviewed journal, devoted to pharmaceutical sciences. ...... Read more >>>

RNI: Not Available                     
DOI: 10.5958/0975-4377 


Recent Articles




Tags