Pratiksha Deore, Avish D. Maru, Yashpal M. More
Pratiksha Deore, Avish D. Maru, Yashpal M. More
Department of Pharmaceutics, Loknete, Dr. J.D. Pawar College of Pharmacy, Manur, Tel – Kalwan - 423501, Dist-Nashik.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
The article mainly focuses on several aspects of orodispersible tablets (ODTs). These types of tablets are those when placed in the mouth cavity disperse the drug in very rapid manner i.e. instantaneously releasing the drug which dissolve in saliva. ODTs are alternative dosage forms for the patients who are suffering from dysphasia i.e. difficulty in swallowing. The oral administration of the drug is most important method for administrating the drugs for systemic effects. Except that the parenteral route is not used routinely for self-administration e.g. insulin. The topical route is only applicable to deliver the drugs into the body for the systemic effect. The administration of the drug by the parenteral route is only beneficial for treating medical emergencies in which the subject is comatose or can’t swallow. Never the less it is probable that at least 90% of all drugs used to provide systemic effects are administered by the oral route. ODTs are different from traditional tablets in that they are designed to be dispersed on the tongue rather than swallowed whole. ODTs dissolve or disintegrate in the oral cavity without the need of water or chewing. And also it is mainly used for rapid action, to enhance the bioavailability, accurate dosing, enhance palatability, ease of administration, accurate dosing, having good patient compliance because most of the people are familiar with this route. Drugs present in ODTs do not suffer from the first-pass metabolism. This type of drug administration or delivery is becoming popular day by day due to its numerous advantages.
Cite this article:
Pratiksha Deore, Avish D. Maru, Yashpal M. More. Review on Orodispersible Tablet: Recent Trends of Manufacturing of Orodispersible Tablet. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology.2022; 14(2):177-2. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2022.00028
Pratiksha Deore, Avish D. Maru, Yashpal M. More. Review on Orodispersible Tablet: Recent Trends of Manufacturing of Orodispersible Tablet. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology.2022; 14(2):177-2. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2022.00028 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-14-2-13
1. Bimodal M, Singh SK, Mishra DN. Vijaya Kumar SG, Spray-dried excipient base: a novel technique for the formulation of orally disintegrating tablets. Chem Pharm Bull 54(1): 99-102
2. Jain, D. and Amul, M., 2014. A review-formulation & development of orodispersible tablet. IJPE, 4, pp.21-38.) Lachman L, Liberman HA, Kanig Jl. The Theory and Practice of Industrial Pharmacy.
3. Garud, S.S., Derle, D.V., Valavi, A.B., Shaikh, S.J. and Derle, N.D., 2014. A review on Orodispersible tablet (ODT) technology-A novel approach to develop the super generics. Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res, 26(2), pp.231-236.
4. Arora, P. and Sethi, V.A., 2013. Orodispersible tablets: A comprehensive review. International Journal of Research and Development in Pharmacy & Life Sciences, 2(2), pp.270-284.
5. Kaushik D, Dureja H, Saini TR. Mouth dissolving tablets: A Review. Indian Drugs 41 (4): 187-193.
6. Tablets Formulation of tablets/ Disintegration. www.pharmpedia.com,2014
7. Prasad D, Ghosh T, Ghosh A,. A Review on New Generation Orodispersible Tablets and its future prospective. Int Journ Pharm Pharm Sci 2014
8. Dobetti L (2012). Fast melting tablets: Developments and technologies. Pharm Technol Drug Deliv Suppl 44-50.
9. Sachan, A.K., 2019. Comparative Study of Natural and Synthetic Superdisintegrants in Orodispersible Metformin Tablet. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Development, 7(3), pp.46-53.
10. Miehlke, S., Lucendo, A.J., Straumann, A., Jan Bredenoord, A. and Attwood, S., 2020. Orodispersible budesonide tablets for the treatment of eosinophilic esophagitis: a review of the latest evidence. Therapeutic Advances in Gastroenterology, 13, p.1756284820927282.
11. Scaglione, F., Donde, S., Hassan, T.A. and Jannini, E.A., 2017. Phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors for the treatment of erectile dysfunction: pharmacology and clinical impact of the sildenafil citrate orodispersible tablet formulation. Clinical Therapeutics, 39(2), pp.370-377.
12. Cilurzo, F., Musazzi, U.M., Franzé, S., Selmin, F. and Minghetti, P., 2018. Orodispersible dosage forms: biopharmaceutical improvements and regulatory requirements. Drug discovery today, 23(2), pp.251-259.
13. Gupta, D.K., Maurya, A. and Varshney, M.M., 2020. Orodispersible Tablets: an Overview of Formulation and Technology.
14. Wasilewska, K. and Winnicka, K., 2019. How to assess orodispersible film quality? A review of applied methods and their modifications. Acta Pharmaceutica, 69(2), pp.155-176.
15. Rahane, R.D. and Rachh, P.R., 2018. A review on fast dissolving tablet. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics, 8(5), pp.50-55.
16. Ratnaparkhi M, “Formulation and Development of Taste Masked Orally Disintegrating Tablets of Perindopril Erbumine by Direct Compression Method” PAA; 3(5):1-10.
17. Slavkova, M. and Breitkreutz, J., 2015. Orodispersible drug formulations for children and elderly. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 75, pp.2-9.
18. Rameesa, C.K. and Drisya, M.K., 2015. Orodispersible Tablet: A patient friendly dosage form (a Review). Bali Med. J., 4(1), pp.17-20.
19. Wasilewska, K. and Winnicka, K., 2019. How to assess orodispersible film quality? A review of applied methods and their modifications. Acta Pharmaceutica, 69(2), pp.155-176.
20. Abay, F.B. and Ugurlu, T., 2015. Orally disintegrating tablets: a short review. Journal of Pharmaceutics & Drug Development, 3(3), p.303.
21. Kumari, P.K. and Rao, Y.S., 2019. A Review on Orodispersible Tablets: A Novel Approach. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 12(8), pp.3993-4001.
22. Pinho, L.A., Temer, A.C., Ribeiro, C., Sá-Barreto, L.L. and Cunha-Filho, M.S.S., 2018. The popularization of orodispersible tablets in the pharmaceutical market. Infarma-Ciências Farmacêuticas, 30(2), pp.77-84.
23. Deshmukh, R.S., Bari, M.M. and Barhate, S.D., 2018. Formulation and Evaluation of Orodispersible Tablet of Naratriptan HCl. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 8(3).
24. Kanathe, P., Jain, R., Jain, N. and Jain, S.K., 2021. Formulation and Evaluation of Orodispersible Tablet of Fluvastatin Sodium. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics, 11(1), pp.42-47.
25. Verma, S., 2018. A Review on Conventional and Modern Techniques to Develop Orodispersible Films. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics (AJP): Free full-text articles from Asian J Pharm, 12(02).
26. Sachan, A.K., 2019. Comparative Study of Natural and Synthetic Superdisintegrants in Orodispersible Metformin Tablet. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Development, 7(3), pp.46-53.
27. Hobbs, D., Karagianis, J., Treuer, T. and Raskin, J., 2013. An in vitro analysis of disintegration times of different formulations of olanzapine orodispersible tablet: a preliminary report. Drugs in R&D, 13(4), pp.281-288.
a. 28) Gupta, S., Kesarla, R., Chotai, N., Misra, A. and Omri, A., 2017. Systematic approach for the formulation and optimization of solid lipid nanoparticles of efavirenz by high pressure homogenization using design of experiments for brain targeting and enhanced bioavailability. Biomed Research International, 2017.
28. Panda, N., Reddy, A.V., Reddy, G.S. and Panda, K.C., 2015. Formulation design and in vitro evaluation of zolmitriptan immediate release tablets using primojel and AC-Di-Sol. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, 7(8), p.545.
29. Puttewar, T.Y., Kshirsagar, M.D., Chandewar, A.V. and Chikhale, R.V., 2010. Formulation and evaluation of orodispersible tablet of taste masked doxylamine succinate using ion exchange resin. Journal of King Saud University-Science, 22(4), pp.229-240.
30. Singh, J., Philip, A.K. and Pathak, K., 2008. Optimization studies on design and evaluation of orodispersible pediatric formulation of indomethacin. Aaps Pharmscitech, 9(1), pp.60-66.
31. Subramanian, S., Sankar, V., Manakadan, A.A., Ismail, S. and Andhuvan, G., 2010. Formulation and evaluation of Cetirizine dihydrochloride orodispersible tablet. Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 23(2).
32. Jain, D. and Amul, M., 2014. A review-formulation & development of orodispersible tablet. IJPE, 4, pp.21-38.