Shivi Sondhi, Navdeep Singh, Kamya Goyal, Shammy Jindal
Shivi Sondhi1, Navdeep Singh1, Kamya Goyal2, Shammy Jindal1,3
1Department of Pharmaceutics, Laureate Institute of Pharmacy, Kathog, Jawalamukhi, Himachal Pradesh, 176031, India
2Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Analysis, Laureate Institute of Pharmacy, Kathog, Jawalamukhi, Himachal Pradesh 176031, India
3Research Scholar, Department of Pharmaceutics, Amity Institute of Pharmacy, Amity University, Uttar Pradesh, Sector-125, Noida 201303, India
Volume - 13,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
Psoriasis is a most common long lasting chronic autoimmune inflammatory skin disease. Psoriasis is affecting approximately 2% - 3% of world population. The possibility to develop psoriasis by causing emotional stress, infections, intestinal abnormal and specific medications. The present paper aimed to investigate the effect of permeation enhancer on permeation of hydrogels prepared with Berberine hydrochloride. The Berberine hydrochloride is herbal phytoconstituents which obtained from the plant of Tinospora cordifolia. The hydrogels was prepared by using Carbopol 934. The prepared hydrogel was evaluated for physical appearance, drug content, pH, viscosity, spreadability, homogeneity, grittiness and in-vitro release. The effect of permeation enhancers was examined to enhance the drug release profile up to 8hours, when compared with or without permeation enhancers. The mechanism of drug release was found to be non-Fickian. From the results it was concluded that permeation of Berberine hydrochloride hydrogel was enhance release by using transcutol P in two concentration (0.1% and 0.2%).
Cite this article:
Shivi Sondhi, Navdeep Singh, Kamya Goyal, Shammy Jindal. Development of Topical Herbal Gel of Berberine Hydrochloride for the Treatment of Psoriasis. Res. J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech.2021; 13(1):12-18. doi: 10.5958/0975-4377.2021.00003.3
1. Kuchekar AB, Pujari RR, Kuchekar SB, Dhole SN, Mule PM. Psoriasis: A comprehensive review. International Journal of Pharmacy and Life Sciences. 2011 1; 2(6).
2. Parisi R, Symmons DP, Griffiths CE, Ashcroft DM. Global epidemiology of psoriasis: a systematic review of incidence and prevalence. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 2013 1; 133(2): 377-85.
3. Kumar A, Jindal S, Ashawat MS, Pandit V, Priya V. Psoriasis and Its Treatment: A Review.
4. Jindal S, Awasthi R, Singhare D, Kulkarni GT. Topical delivery of Tacrolimus using liposome containing gel: An emerging and synergistic approach in management of psoriasis. Medical Hypotheses. 2020 15: 109838.
5. Amin S, Rajabnezhad S, Kohli K. Hydrogels as potential drug delivery systems. Scientific Research and Essays. 2009 30; 4(11): 1175-83.
6. Tan W, Li Y, Chen M, Wang Y. Berberine hydrochloride: anticancer activity and nanoparticulate delivery system. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2011; 6: 1773.
7. Nimisha DA, Fatima Z, Neema CD. Antipsoriatic and anti-inflammatory studies of Berberis aristata extract loaded nanovesicular gels. Pharmacognosy Magazine. 2017; 13(Suppl 3): S587.
8. Khan PA, Thube R, Rab RA. Formulation development and evaluation of silymarin gel for psoriasis treatment. J Innov Pharm Biol Sci. 2014; 1(1): 21-6.
9. Laxmi RJ, Karthikeyan R, Babu PS, Babu RN. Formulation and evaluation of antipsoriatic gel using natural excipients. Journal of Acute Disease. 2013 1; 2(2): 115-21.
10. Pasrija A, Singh R, Katiyar CK. Validated HPLC-UV method for the determination of berberine in raw herb Daruharidra (Berberis aristata DC), its extract, and in commercially marketed ayurvedic dosage forms. International Journal of Ayurveda Research. 2010; 1(4): 243.
11. Akl MA, Hady MA, Sayed OM. Buccal mucosal accumulation of dapoxetine using supersaturation, co-solvent and permeation enhancing polymer strategy. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2020 1; 55: 101411.
12. Jindal S, Kumar A, Goyal K, Awasthi R, Kulkarni GT. Lipid Nanocarriers for Dermal Delivery of Lutein. In Nanomedicine for Bioactives 2020 (pp. 341-366). Springer.
13. Samvedna S, Jindal S, Mishra G, Madan JR, Gupta G, Awasthi R, Pinto TD, Dua K, Kulkarni GT. Formulation and characterization of oral rapid disintegrating tablets of levocetirizine. Polim Med. 2018.
14. Masini V, Bonte F, Meybeck A, Wepierre J. Cutaneous bioavailability in hairless rats of tretinoin in liposomes or gel. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 1993 1; 82(1): 17-21.
15. Sharma A, Anghore D, Awasthi R, Kosey S, Jindal S, Gupta N, Raj D, Sood R. A Review on Current Carbon Nanomaterials and Other Nanoparticles Technology and Their Applications in Biomedicine. World Journal Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science. 2015 Oct 15; 4: 1088-113.
16. Index M. Windholz M (ed) Merck and Co. Inc., Rahway NJ. 1983; 3399.
17. Lu J, Ma HY, Zhang W, Ma ZG, Yao S. Separation of berberine hydrochloride and tetrahydropalmatine and their quantitative analysis with thin layer chromatography involved with ionic liquids. Journal of Analytical Methods in Chemistry. 2015 1; 2015.
18. Wagnar H, Bladt S. Plant drug analysis. A Thin Layer Chromatography Atlas, 2nd edition and 1st Indian reprint, Sringer (India) Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi. 2004: 332-3.