Keshav Dhiman, Anshul Sharma, Anshul Sharma, Kamya Goyal, Vinay Pandit, M. S. Ashawat, Shammy Jindal
Keshav Dhiman1, Anshul Sharma1, Anshul Sharma1, Kamya Goyal2, Vinay Pandit1, M. S. Ashawat1, Shammy Jindal1*
1Department of Pharmaceutics, Laureate Institute of Pharmacy, Kathog Jawalaji Dist - Kangra (H.P.) India.
2Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Assurance, Laureate Institute of Pharmacy,
Kathog Jawalaji Dist - Kangra (H.P.) India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
The plants containing berberine have been used for the treatment of skin diseases, inflammatory disorders, and reducing fevers, wound healing, digestive and respiratory diseases and in treatment of tumors. By taking the specific properties of the berberine, this review describes the method mentioned in the literature regarding the berberine extraction. Furthermore, many experimental and clinical studies suggest that berberine has several pharmacological activities such as antioxidative, cardioprotective, nephroprotective, and hepatoprotective effect. This review summarizes the information about botanical occurrence, traditional uses and pharmacological effects of berberine and berberine containing plants.
Cite this article:
Keshav Dhiman, Anshul Sharma, Anshul Sharma, Kamya Goyal, Vinay Pandit, M. S. Ashawat, Shammy Jindal. Application of Berberine on Skin Diseases: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2022; 14(4):304-8. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2022.00050
Keshav Dhiman, Anshul Sharma, Anshul Sharma, Kamya Goyal, Vinay Pandit, M. S. Ashawat, Shammy Jindal. Application of Berberine on Skin Diseases: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2022; 14(4):304-8. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2022.00050 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-14-4-9
1. Chen Y Y, Chang F R, Wu Y C. Isoquinoline alkaloids and lignans from Rollinia mucosa. Journal of Natural Products. 1996; 59: 904-906.
2. Singh A, Duggal S, Kaur N, Singh J. Berberine: Alkaloid with wide spectrum of pharmacological activities. J. Nat. Prod.2010; 3: 64–75.
3. Dev S. A Selection of Prime Ayurvedic Plants Drugs ancient- Modern Concordance. New Delhi: Anamaya Publishers; 2006.
4. Kirtikar K R, Basu B D. Indian Medicinal Plants. Allahabad : CSIR Publications. 1998;1.
5. Kataoka M, Tokuyama E, Miyananga Y, Uchida T. The taste sensory evaluation of medicinal plants and Chinese medicines. Int. J. Pharm. 2008; 36–44.
6. Fabricant D S, Famsworth N R. The value of plants used in traditional medicine for drug discovery. Journal of Environmental Health Perspectives. 2005; 69.
7. Rosjanga P, Gritsanapan W. Variation of berberine content in the Coscinium fenestratum Stem in Thailand Market. Mahidol University Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2005;32: 66-70
8. Andola H C, Gaira K S, Rawal M S, Bhatt I D, Purohit V K. Variations of berberine content of Berberis asiatica. Western Himalaya Chem Biodiversity. (2010a) ; 7:415-420.
9. Andola H C, Rawal R S, Rawat M S M, Bhatti I D, Purohit V K. Variations of berberine contents in Berberis pseudumbellata. A High Value Medicinal shrub of West Himalaya. India Medicinal plants Journal of Phytomedicines and related industries. (2010b); 2: 111-115.
10. Tome F, Colombo M L. Distribution of alkaloids in Chelidonium majus and factor affecting their accumulation. Phytochemistry. 1995; 37-39.
11. Chandra P, Purohit A N. Berberine contents and alkaloid profile of Berberis species from different altitudes. Biochemistry systems Ecology. 1980; 379-380.
12. Mikage M, Mouri C. Pharmacognostical studies of Berberis plants from Nepal (1) altitudinal, interspecific and partial variations of berberine content in the barks. Pharmaceutics; 249-254.
13. Marek R, Seckarova P, Hulova D, Marek J, Dostal J, Sklenar V. Palmatine and Berberine isolation artifacts. Journal Of Natural Products. 2003; 66: 481-486.
14. Grycova L, Dostal J, Marek R. Quaternary protoberberine alkaloids. Phytochemistry. 2007; 68: 150-175.
15. Rahal A, Kumar A, Singh V, Yadav B, Tiwari R, Chakrobarty S. The Interplay: Oxidative stress, pro-oxidants and oxidants. Biomedical Research International. 2014.
16. Thirupurasundari C J, Padmini R, Devaraj S N. Effect of berberine on antioxidant status, ultrastructural modifications and protein bound carbohydrates in azoxymethane- induced colon cancer in rats. Journal of Chemistry Biological Int. 2009; 177: 190-195.
17. Zeng X. Relationship between the clinical effects of berberine on severe congestive heart failure and its concentration in plasma studies by HPLC. Biomedical Chromatogram. 1999; 13: 442-444.
18. Chi L, Peng L, Pan N, Hu X, ZhangY, The anti-atherogenic effects of berberine of foam cell formation mediated through upregulation of sirutin I. International Journal of Molecular Medicines. 2014; 34: 1087-1093.
19. Cicero A, Ertek S. Berberine: Metabolic and cardiovascular effects in preclinical and clinical trials. Journal of Nutraceuticals Diet Supplement. 2009; 1: 1-10.
20. Chang T Y, Li B L, Chang C C, Urano Y. Acyl-coenzyme A: Cholesterol acyltransferases. Journal of Physiology- endocrinology and metabolism. 2009; E1-E9.
21. Wang Y, Yi X, Ghanam K, Zhang S, Zhao T, Zhu X. Berberine decreases cholesterol levels in rats through multiple mechanisms, including inhibition of cholesterol absorption. Mrtabolism 2014; 63: 1167-1177.
22. Yin J, Gao Z, Liu, D, Liu Z, Ye J. Berberine improves glucose metabolism through induction of glycolysis. Journal of Physiology- endocrinology and metabolism. 2008; 148-156.
23. Xia X, Yan J, Shen Y, Tang K, Yin J, Zhang Y. Berberine improves glucose metabolism in diabetic rat by ingibition of hepatic gluconeogenesis. 2011.
24. Chen Y, Wang Y, Lin L, Zhang Y, Sun C, Lopez A. Berberine improves glucose homeostasis in streptozotocin- induced diabetic rats in association with multiple factors of insulin resistance. ISRN Endorinol. 2011; 1-8.
25. Dai P, Wang J, Lin L, Zhang Y, Wang Z. Renoprotective effects of berberine as adjuvant therapy for hypertensive patients with Type-II Diabetes mellitus: Evaluation via biochemical markers and color Doppler ultrasonography. Journal of experimental and therapeutic Medicine. 2015; 10: 869-876.
26. Zhao X, Zhang J, Tong N, Chen Y, Luo Y. Protective effects of berberine on Doxorubicin- induced hepatotoxicity in mice. Journal of Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2012; 35: 796-800.
27. Domitrovic R, Jakovac H, Blagojevic G. Hepatoprotective activity of berberine mediated by inhibition of TNF-α, COX-2 expression in CCl4-intoxicated mice. Toxicology. 2011; 33-43.
28. Kim S, Chung J H. Berberine prevents UV-induced MMP-I and reduction of type-I procollagen expression in human dermal fibroblasts. Phytomedicine.2008; 15: 749-753.
29. Yahki K, Kiso A, Zhou Y Y. Abstracts: The effects of Coptis japonica root extract and its key component, berberine on human subcutaneous adipocytes. International Journal of Cosmetic Sciences. 2010; 32: 392-395.
30. Derosa G, Maffioli P, Cicero A F. Berberine on Metabolic and Cardiovascular risk factors: An analysis from preclinical evidences to clinical trials. Expert Opinion Biomolecular Theory. 2012; 12: 1113-1124.
31. Fouladi R F. 2012. Aqueous extract of dried fruit of berberis vulgaris L. in acne vulgaris, a clinical trial. Journal of Dietary Supplement. 2012; 9: 253-261.
32. Johnson M, Rafikhah N. Berberis vulgaris juice and acne vulgaris: a placebo-controlled study. Asian Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2014; 6: 47-52.
33. Gupta DK, Aqil M, Sultana Y. Tailoring of berberine loaded transniosomes for the management of skin cancer in mice. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2020; 60: 1-13.
34. Torky AS, Maha MA, Abdallah AY. Novel skin penetrating berberine oleate complex capitalizing on hydrophobic ion pairing approach. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2018; 76-86.
35. Vanti G, Wang M, Billia AR. Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose hydrogel of berberine chlorideloaded escinosomes: Dermal absorption and biocompatibility. International Journal of Biological Macromolecule. 2020; 1-29.
36. Niu J, Yuan M, Chen C, Wang L, Gan Y. Berberine-Loaded Thiolated Pluronic F127 Polymeric Micelles for Improving Skin Permeation and Retention. International Journal of Nanomedicine.2020; 1-19.
37. Lin H, Lim L, Choi Y. Development and in-vitro evaluation of co-loaded berberine chloride and evodiamine ethosomes for treatment of melanoma. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2020; 1-7.
38. Vanti G, Bani D, Salvatici CM, Bergonzi MC, Billia AR. Development and Percutaneous Permeation Study of Escinosomes, Escin-Based Nanovesicles Loaded with Berberine Chloride. Pharmaceutics. 2019; 1-22.
39. Gull A, Ahmed S, Ahmed FS, Chandra. Hydrogel thickened microemulsion; a local cargo for the co- delivery of cinnamaldehyde and berberine to treat acne vulgaris. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2020; 58: 1-10
40. Amato G, Grimaudo MA, Lorenzo CA, Carbone C, Musumeci T. Hyaluronan/Poly-L-lysine/Berberine Nanogels for Impaired Wound Healing. Pharmaceutics. 2020; 1-11.
41. Mayangsari F, Surini S, Iswandana R. Development of transfersomal emulgel to enhance the permeation of berberine chloride for transdermal delivery. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2022; 12(02): 48-55.
42. Awate P S, Pimple T P, Pananchery JF, Jain A S. Formulation and evaluation of berberine hcl as niosomal drug delivery system. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2020; 10(3).
43. Rahamat U, Kumar P M, Gella S. Psoriasis: A comprehensive Review. Asian J. of Res.in Pharma. Sciences. 2019; 9(1): 29-38.
44. Mahajan T, Singh N, Goyal K, Jindal S, Pandit V, Ashawat MS. Recent updates on Psoriasis: A Review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical research. 2022; 12(1): 3-76.
45. Singh N, Sondhi S, Jindal S, Pandit V, Ashawat MS. Treatment and Management for patients with mild to severe Psoriasis: A Review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2020; 10(4):286-292.
46. Sondhi S, Singh N, Jindal S. Natural Remedies used in treatment of Psoriasis: A Short review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2021; 11(1): 43-45.
47. Sharma S, Sharma R, Goyal K, Jindal S. Potential of herbal treatment of Psoriasis: A Laconic Review. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021; 11(1): 51-57.
48. Sondhi S, Singh N, Goyal K, Jindal S. Development of Topical Herbal gel of Berberine Hydrochloride for the treatment of Psoriasis. 2021; 13(1): 12-18.
49. Verma D, Samal P K. Evaluation of Synergistic analgesic Activity of Berberine and Asiatic Acid in Mice. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(12): 6081-6085.
50. Singh N, Goyal K, Sondhi S, Jindal S. Traditional and medicinal use of Barbaloin: Potential for the Management of Various Disease. 2020; 8(3): 21-30.
51. Singh N, Goyal K, Sondhi S, Jindal S. Development and characterization of Barbaloin Gel for the safe and effective treatment of Psoriasis. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2020; 10(5): 188-197.