Pradip Landge, Jiwan Lavande, Avinash Swami, Vishweshwar Dharashive
Pradip Landge, Jiwan Lavande*, Avinash Swami, Vishweshwar Dharashive
Department of Pharmaceutics, Shivlingeshwar College of Pharmacy, Almala, Ta. ausa, Dist. Latur, 413520 Latur, Maharashra, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2023
The purpose of writing this review was to investigate, compile and present the recent as well as past literatures in more concise way with special focus on approaches which are currently utilized in the prolongation of gastric residence time. One novel approach in this area is Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery System (GRDDSs). GRDDSs can improve the controlled delivery of drugs that have an absorption window by continuously releasing the drug for a prolonged period of time before it reaches its absorption site. These includes floating system, swelling and expanding system, bio/mucoadhesive system, high density system and other delayed gastric emptying devices. The present review addresses briefly about the, factors controlling gastric retention, advantages, Disadvantages and applications of gastroretentive drug delivery systems, Commonly used drug in formulation of GRDDS,Gastroretentive products available in the market, types of GRDDS.
Cite this article:
Pradip Landge, Jiwan Lavande, Avinash Swami, Vishweshwar Dharashive. A Review on Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology.2023; 15(1):62-8. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2023.00011
Pradip Landge, Jiwan Lavande, Avinash Swami, Vishweshwar Dharashive. A Review on Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology.2023; 15(1):62-8. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2023.00011 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-15-1-11
1. Streubel A, Siepmann J, Bodmeier R. Gastroretentive drug delivery system. Expert Opin Drug Deliv 2006; 3(2): 217- 33.
2. Iannucelli V, Coppi G, Bernabei MT, Camerorni R. Air compertment multiple-unit system for prolonged gastric residence. Part-I.Formulation study.Int J Pharm 1998; 174: 47-54.
3. Yie W, Chein; Novel Drug Delivery System 2nd ed. Marcel dekker; Inc. New York. 1992; 1-3.
4. Sanjay Garg, Shringi Sharma; Gastroretentive Drug Delivery Systems; Pharmatech.2003; 160-166.
5. VedhaHari; The Recent Developments on Gastric Floating Drug Delivery Systems: An Overview; Int Journal pharmtech Res.2010; 2(1): 524-534.
6. Devkant Sharma, Anjali Sharma; Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System - a mini review; Asian pacific Journal of Health Sciences, 2014; 1(2): 80-89.
7. Robinson J, Lee R. Controlled Drug Delivery, 2nd edition, 1987: pg 418.
8. Bardonnet PL, Faivre V, Pugh WJ, Piffaretti JC, Falson F; Gastroretentive Dosage Forms; Journal of Controlled Release, 2006; 111:1-18.
9. Arora S, Javed A, Ahuja A, Khar RK, Baboota S; Floating Drug Delivery System : AReview; AAPS Pharm Sci Tech, 2000; 6(3):372-390.
10. Patel GM, Patel HR, Patel M.; Floating drug delivery system an innovative approaches to prolong gastric retention; Pharmainfo.net 2007.
11. Amit Kumar Nayak, RumaMaji, Biswarup Das; Gastroretentive Drug Delivery Systems: A Review; Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, 2010; 3(1):2-10
12. Klusner EA, Eyal S, Lavy E, Friedman M, Hoffman A; Novel Levodopa Gasrtroretentive Dosage form: In Vivo Evaluation in Dogs; J Control Release 2003; 88: 117- 26.
13. Hoffman A; Pharmacodynamic aspects of sustained release preparation; A Drug Delivery; Rev 1998; 33: 185-99.
14. A. Badoni, A. Ojha, G. Gnanarajani, P. Kothiyali; Review on Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery System; The Pharma Innovation, 2012; 1(8): 32-42
15. Singh B and Kim KH; Floating drug delivery system: an approach to oral controlled drug delivery system via Gastric Retention; Journal of Controlled Release, 2000; 63:235-259.
16. Waterman KC; A Critical Review of Gastric Retentive Controlled Drug Delivery; Pharmaceutical Development and Technology, 2007; 12: 1-10.
17. Arora, S; Ali, J; Ahuja, A; Khar, RK and Baboota, S. Floating Drug Delivery Systems: A Review; AAPS Pharm Sci. Tech, 2005; 47:372-390.
18. Moes, AJ; Gastroretentive Dosage forms; Crit Rev The Drug Carrier Syst, 1993; 10(2): 193-195.
19. Singh, BN and Kim, KH; Floating Drug Delivery Systems: An Approach to Oral Controlled Drug Delivery via Gastric Retention; Journal of Controlled Release; 2000; 63:235-259.
20. Klausner, EA; Lavy, E; Friedman, M and Hoffman, A; Expandable Gastroretentive Dosage Forms; J. Control. Rel., 2003; 90: 143-162.
21. Maryam Kouchaka, FatemehAtyabib; Ion-exchange, an Approach to Prepare an Oral Floating Drug Delivery System for Diclofenac; Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2004; 2: 93-97.
22. Mayavanshi AV and Gajjar SS; Floating Drug Delivery System to Increase Gastric Retention ofDrugs; RJPT, 2008; 1(4):345-348.
23. Atyabi, F; Sharma, HL; Mohammad, HAH and Fell, JT; Controlled Drug Release from Coated Floating Ion Exchange Resin Beads; J. Control. Release, 1996; 42: 25- 28.
24. Vishal Bhardwaj, Nirmala, S.L. Harikumar; Floating Drug Delivery System: a review; Pharmacophore 2013; 4 (1):26-38.
25. Jamil F, Sunil K, Sharma S, VishvakarmaP, Singh L; Review on Stomach Specific DrugDelivery Development and Evaluation; IJRPBS, 2011; 2(4):1427- 1433.
26. VishalBhardwaj, Nirmala, S.L. Harikumar; Floating Drug Delivery System: A Review; Pharmacophore; 2013; 4 (1):26-38.
27. Narang N: an updated review on: floating drug delivery system (FDDS). International Journal of Applied pharmaceutics 2011; 3(1): 1-7.
28. Chandiran S, kumar BP and nayaran V; formulation an in vitro evaluation of floating drug delivery system for salbutamol sulphate, international journal of pharma biomed sciences 2010; 1(1): 12-15.
29. Jain A : new concept: floating drug delivery system, Indian journal of novel drug delivery 2011; 3(3); 163- 69.
30. Geetha A, Rajendra K Mohan CHK, Sateesh V and Raju PN: A review on floating drug delivery systems, international journal of pharmaceutical research and biomedical analysis 2012; 1(1); 1-13.
31. Talukder R, Fassihi R. Gastroretentive Delivery Systems; Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy; 2004; 30(10):1019-1028..
32. Groning R, Heun; Oral Dosage forms with Controlled Gastrointestinal Transit Drug Delivery; 1984; 10(4):527- 539
33. Despande AA, Shah NH, Rhodes CT, MalickW; Development of a Novel Controlled Release System for Gastric Retention; Pharmaceutical Research; 1997; 14(6):815-819.
34. Nayak AK, Maji R, Das B; Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System a review; Asian Journal of Pharm Clin Res.2010; 3(1):2-10
35. SatinderKakar, DeepaBatra, Ramandeep Singh, UjjwalNautiyal. Magnetic Microspheres as Magical Novel Drug Delivery System: A review; Journal of acute disease 2013:1-12.
36. Arrora S, Ali J, Khar RK, Baboota S. Floatng drug delivery systems: A review. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech 2005; 6(3): 372-90.
37. Vyas SP, Khar RK. Gastroretentive systems. In: Controlled drug Delivery. VallabhPrakashan, Delhi, India. 2006. p. 197-217.