Wajid Ahmad, Rihan Sheikh, Razia Ahmad, Suhana Khan
Wajid Ahmad*, Rihan Sheikh, Razia Ahmad, Suhana Khan
Department of Pharmaceutics, Institute of Pharmacy, Ankara, Turkey.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
Rifaximin treats traveler's diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome by stopping the growth of the bacteria that cause diarrhea. Rifaximin treats hepatic encephalopathy by stopping the growth of bacteria that produce toxins and that may worsen liver disease. The short half life and high frequency of administration of drug makes it a suitable candidate for designing sustained drug delivery system. The aim of the present investigation was to develop a sustained release matrix tablet of Rifaximin using sodium alginate and cross linked sodium alginate and to evaluate the drug release kinetics. In order to achieve the required sustained release profile, the tablets were prepared by a wet granulation method. The formulated tablets were characterized for pre-compression and post-compression parameters and they were in the acceptable limits. The drug release data obtained after an in vitro dissolution study was fitted to various release kinetic models in order to evaluate the release mechanism and kinetics. The criterion for selecting the best fit model was linearity (coefficient of correlation). Drug release mechanism was found to follow a complex mixture of diffusion, swelling and erosion. The dosage form holds the potential to control the release rate of drug and extend the duration of action of a drug.
Cite this article:
Wajid Ahmad, Rihan Sheikh, Razia Ahmad, Suhana Khan. Preparation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Tablet of Rifaximin by using Cross linked Sodium Alginate. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2022; 14(4):263-8. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2022.00043
Wajid Ahmad, Rihan Sheikh, Razia Ahmad, Suhana Khan. Preparation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Tablet of Rifaximin by using Cross linked Sodium Alginate. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2022; 14(4):263-8. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2022.00043 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-14-4-2
1. Sayed E, Haj-Ahmad R, Ruparelia K, Arshad MS, Chang MW, Ahmad Z. Porous inorganic drug delivery systems—A review. Aaps Pharmscitech. 2017 Jul;18(5):1507-25. https://doi.org/10.1208/s12249-017-0740-2
2. Malviya V, Pande S. Development and Evaluation of Fast dissolving Film of Fluoxetine hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Oct 31;14(10):5345-50.
3. Malviya VR, Tawar MG. Preparation and Evaluation of Oral Dispersible Strips of Teneligliptin Hydrobromide for Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 Jan 31;13(1):4745-52.
4. Barde LN, Mulye SV, Roy AA, Wankhede VP, Gabhane KB, Mathur VB, Shivhare UD, Bhusari KP. Development and In Vitro Evaluation of Extended Release Matrix Tablet of Metoprolol Succinate. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010;3(3):748-52.
5. Malviya V, Thakur Y, Gudadhe SS, Tawar M. Formulation and evaluation of natural gum based fast dissolving tablet of Meclizine hydrochloride by using 3 factorial design 2. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2020;6(2):94-100.
6. Malviya V. Design and Characterization of Thermosensitive Mucoadhesive Nasal Gel for Meclizine Hydrochloride. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2022 Feb 28;15(1):5782-93.
7. Malviya V, Ladhake V, Gajbiye K, Satao J, Tawar M. Design and Characterization of Phase Transition System of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride for Nasal Drug Delivery System. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 May 31;13(3):4942-51.
8. Malviya V, Burange P, Thakur Y, Tawar M. Enhancement of Solubility and Dissolution Rate of Atazanavir Sulfate by Nanocrystallization. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2021 Jul 1;55(3):S672-80.
9. Malviya V. Preparation and Evaluation of Emulsomes as a Drug Delivery System for Bifonazole. Indian journal of pharmaceutical education and research. 2021 Jan 1;55(1):86-94.
10. Malviya, Vedanshu, Mukund Tawar, Prashant Burange, and Rahul Jodh. "A Brief Review on Resveratrol." (2022): 157-162.
11. Malviya V, Manekar S. Design, Development and Evaluation of Aceclofenac and Curcumin Agglomerates by Crystallo Co-Agglomeration Technique. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Mar 18;14(3):1535-41.
12. Kathija M, Narayanaswamy VB. Formulation and Evaluation of Gastroretentive Matrix Tablet of Nifedipine. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2015 May 28;8(5):549-53.
13. Malviya VR, Pande SD, Bobade NN. Preparation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Beads of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(12):5972-6.
14. Jawahar N, Vinothaboosan R, Venkatesh N, Kalirajan R, Eagappanath T. Design and Evaluation of Sustained Release Hydrophilic Polymer Matrix Tablet of Glucosamine Sulphate. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2009;2(3):463-5.
15. Burange PJ, Tawar MG, Bairagi RA, Malviya VR, Sahu VK, Shewatkar SN, Sawarkar RA, Mamurkar RR. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by using Aloe vera and Thuja orientalis leaves extract and their biological activity: a comprehensive review. Bulletin of the National Research Centre. 2021 Dec;45(1):1-3.
16. Malviya VR, Pande SD. Road CKN. Preparation ad Evaluation of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride Lozenge. J Pharma Res. 2019;8(8):624-9.
17. Hingmire LP, Deshmukh VN, Sakarkar DM. Development and evaluation of sustained release matrix Tablets using natural polymer as release modifier. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008;1(3):193-6.
18. Shinde RV, Pawar JB, Kadam SD, Landge DA, Rahul A, Kulkarni V, Patil VG, Pawar GR. Development and In Vitro Evaluation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablet Formulations of Metoprolol Tartrate. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010;3(2):512-7.