Drug actions can be improved by novel drug delivery system, such as mucoadhesive system. Mucoadhesive drug delivery systems interact with the mucus layer covering the mucosal epithelial surface, and mucin molecules and prolongs the residence time of the dosage form at the site of application. Bio adhesion may be defined as the state in which two materials, at least one of which is of a biological nature, are held together for extend periods of time by interfacial forces. Buccal mucosa is the preferred site for both systemic and local drug action. The mucosa has a rich blood supply and it relatively permeable. Buccal trans mucosal delivery helps to bypass first- pass metabolism by allowing direct access to the systemic circulation through the internal jugular vein. This article briefly describes. Introduction to mucoadhesive drug delivery system, structure and function of oral mucosal membrane, buccal drug delivery and mucoadhesive property, theories and mechanism of mucoadhesion, mechanism to increase drug delivery through buccal route, buccal drug delivery system formulation design, characterization of buccal tablet, evaluation of buccal tablet.
1. Gandhi S., Pandya P., Umbarkar R., Tambawala T., Shah M. (2011), Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery System- An Unusual Maneuver for Site Specific Drug Delivery System, Int J of Pharm Sci., 2:132- 152.
2. Shojaei Amir H. (2003), Buccal Mucosa as A Route for Systemic Drug Delivery: A Review, J Pharm Pharm Sci., 1(1):15-33.
3. Tangri P., Khurana S., Madhav N.V.S. (2011), Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery System: Material and Method, Int. J. Of Pham. Bio. Sci., 2(1):34-46.
4. Ganesh G.N.K., Pallaprola M. Gowthamarajan K. K., Kumar S., Senthil V., Jawahar, N., Vankatesh, N. (2011), Design and Development of Buccal Drug Delivery System for Labetalol using Natural Polymers, Int J of Pharm Res and Dev., 3(3):37-49.
5. Dhaval A Patel., DR.M.R. Patel., DR.K.R. Patel., DR.N.M. Patel., International Journal of Drug Development and Research, Vol 4, (2), 2012, 99-116.
6. S.K. Gupta., I.J. Singhvi., M. Shirsat., G. Karwani., A. Agarwal., Aditi Agarwal., Asian Journal of Biochemical and Pharmaceutical Research, Vol 1, (2), 2011, 105-114.
7. Smart J.D. (2005), The basics and underlying mechanisms of mucoadhesion, Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev., 57:1556-1568.
8. Akhtar M.H., Gupta J., Mohuddin M., Faisal M.D. (2012), A comprehensive Review on Buccal Drug Delivery System, Int. J. Of Pharm. Res. and Dev., 3(11):59-77.
9. Nishan N. Bobade., Sandeep C. Atram., Vikrant P. Wankhade., DR. S.D. Pande., DR.K.K. Tapar., International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science Research, Vol 3, (1), 2013, 35-40.
10. Patel Mitul., Karigar Asif., Savaliya Pratik., Ramana MV., Dubal Ashwini., IRJP, Vol 2, (12), 2011,
11. Ketousetuo Kuotsu., Sweet Naskar., Sanjit KR. Roy., Int J Pharm Bio Sci, Vol 4, (3), 2013, 240-256.
12. Balaji G., Gnana prakash K., Suresh karudumpala., Venkatesh B., IJRRPAS, Vol 3, (4), 2013, 488-506.
13. James C and Boylan. Drug delivery buccal route. In: James Swarbrick, editor. Encyclopedia of Pharmaceutical Technology: Supplement 3, Marcel Dekker INC 2001; Vol 20:P. 800-11.
14. Alur HH, Pather SI, Mitra AK, Johnston TP. Transmucosal sustained delivery of chlorpheniramine maleate in rabbits, using a novel mucoadhesive gum as an excipient in buccal tablets, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 1999; 188(1): 1-10.
15. Metia PK, Bandyopadhyay AK. In vitro evaluation of novel mucoadhesive buccal tablet of oxytocin prepared with Diospyros peregrina fruit mucilages, Yakugaku Zasshi 2008;128:603-609.
16. Rathbone MJ, Drummond BKand Tucker IG. The oral cavity as a site for systemic drug delivery, Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev., 1994; 13: 1–22
17. Munasur AP, Pillay V, Chetty DJ, Govender T. Statistical optimization of the mucoadhesivity and characterization of multipolymeric propranolol matrices for buccal therapy, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2006; 323(1): 43-51.
18. Verma Rameswar., Devre Kishor., Gangrade Tushar., Sch. Acad. J. Pharm, Vol 3, (3), 2014, 271-279.
19. Sameer asole., Atul padole., Mitali bodhankar., Int.J.Pharm.Sci.Res., Vol 20, (1), 2013, 34- 39.