The aim of this study was to develop antihypertensive matrix tablets with sustained release of valsartan, an angiotensin type II receptor antagonist, using hydroxypropyl methylcellulose and combination of ethyl cellulose material as matrix in different proportions by wet granulation. The granules are evaluated by tapped density, bulk density, angle of repose and compressibility index. The tablets are tested for friability, hardness, weight variation and in vitro release. The granules showed good flow properties and compressibility properties and all tablet formulations showed pharmaceutical properties. The result of dissolution study indicate that the formulation prepared by combination of high grade HPMC K100M and ethyl cellulose showed maximum drug release for 12hrs and high drug release around 98.56% i.e., Formulation F8 is the best formulation.
Cite this article:
Sandesh Y. Pawar, Rajendra K. Surawase.. Formulation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablet of Valsartan. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology2023; 15(4):241-6. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2023.00039
Sandesh Y. Pawar, Rajendra K. Surawase.. Formulation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablet of Valsartan. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology2023; 15(4):241-6. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2023.00039 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-15-4-4
1. Madhavi V, Anitha B, Parthiban P. Formulation and invitro evaluation of valsartan sustained release tablets. Int. J. Pharm. Pharm. Anal. 2017;1(3):13-20.
2. Hingmire LP, Sakarkar DM. Formulation and evaluation of Valsartan SR tablets using hydrophilic and hydrophobic polymer. J. Chem. Pharm. Sci. Mahajan P, Mahajan SC, Mishra DK. Valsartan release from sustained release matrix tablet and effect of cellulose derivatives. Int J Pharm Sci. 2011; 2:521-30.2013; 6:254-60.
3. Dilip M. Kumbhar, Vijay D. Havaldar, Kailas K. Mali, Remeth J. Dias, Vishwajeet S. Ghorpade, Rahul B. Londhe. Formulation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Tablets of Venlafaxine Hydrochloride for the treatment of Depressive disorders. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2017; 7(1): 8-14.
4. Dr. Y. Krishna Reddy, K. Akhila. Extended-Release Matrix Tablets of Nateglinide: Formulation and In vitro Evaluation. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2020; 10(2):101-104.
5. Development and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Sustained Release Tablet using Tamarindus indica Gum. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2014; 4(2): 77-82.
6. T. E. Gopala Krishna Murthy, V. Akash. Development of Metoprolol Tartrate Sustained Release Formulations by using Modified Starches. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2018; 8(4): 241-246.
7. Y. Krishna Reddy, Gazala Nousheen. Formulation and Evaluation of Oxcarbazepine Sustained release Matrix tablets. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(3):161-164.
8. Irfan Ansari, Sachin Bhusari, Avinash Chaudhary, Gaurav Shrangare. Formulation and Evaluation of sustained release pellets of Zidovudine by using Extrusion and Spheronization Technique. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(4):241-247.
9. Mayuri B. Patil, Avish D. Maru, Jayshree S. Bhadane. Formulation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Bilayer Matrix Tablet of Glimepiride and Metformin Hydrochloride. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021; 11(4): 273-9.
10. Subhashis Debnath, C Shashank, M. Niranjan Babu, R Suresh Kumar. Formulation and Development of a Compression coated, matrix based, tablet of Verapamil HCl using design of experiments. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2017; 7 (3): 117-126.
11. Dr. Y. Krishna Reddy, Fathima Umera. Formulation and Evaluation of Sustained release matrix tablets of Atomoxetine HCl by using Natural and Synthetic Polymers. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2020; 10(1):43-47.
12. Dr. Y. Krishna Reddy, A. Nagaraju. Formulation and In vitro Evaluation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablet of Azathioprine. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2020; 10(2):65-70.
13. Kumar NS, Ganesh Kumar Y, Chandana CH, Kunal Kumar J. Formulation development and in vitro evaluation of sustained release tablets of cefixime trihydrate. Int J Pharm Tech. 2014; 6: 6224-38.