Likitha B, F R Sheeba, Yeshavantha Kumar, Shivanand K Mutta, H S Keerthy
Likitha B*, F R Sheeba, Yeshavantha Kumar, Shivanand K Mutta, H S Keerthy
Mallige College of Pharmacy, #71, Silvepura, Chikkabanavara Post Bangalore – 560090.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2023
Emulgel is a fresher class of dosage forms that are prepared by entrapment of large amounts of hydroalcoholic liquid into a network of colloidal solid particles. Emulgel formulations lead to faster drug release compared to ointments and creams. Even supposing gels have many uses but the major difficulty is to delivery of hydrophobic drugs. So, too weak these limitations, emulgels are unit ready. The mixture of gels and emulsions leads to emulgels. Emulsions it's an exact degree of elegance and is of course washed off whenever chosen, they take a high ability to penetrate the skin. Another necessary issue is to increase the drug release of even hydrophilicmedicine by creating w/o emulgel. Among the cluster of solid preparations, the utilization of emulgels has expandedin cosmetics and pharmaceutical preparations. Polymers act as emulsifiers and thickeners as a result of the gelling capability of those compounds permits the formulation of unchanging emulsions and creams by decreasing surface and surface tension and at a similar time increasing the viscosity of the aqueous part. Emulgels area unit is principally used for the delivery of analgesics, medication, anti-fungal, anti-acne medicine, and numerous cosmetic formulations. By applying an appropriate applied mathematics style dissimilar grades of emulgel area unit ready. There area unit numerous favorable properties like being thixotropic, emollient, greaseless, simply spreadable, simply removable, soluble, a longer period, non-staining, bio-friendly, clear and pleasing look. Many penetration enhancers will raise the result.
Cite this article:
Likitha B, F R Sheeba, Yeshavantha Kumar, Shivanand K Mutta, H S Keerthy. Emulgel: A Novel Topical Drug Delivery. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology.2023; 15(2):123-0. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2023.00021
Likitha B, F R Sheeba, Yeshavantha Kumar, Shivanand K Mutta, H S Keerthy. Emulgel: A Novel Topical Drug Delivery. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology.2023; 15(2):123-0. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2023.00021 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-15-2-9
1. Panwar A, Upadhyay N, Bairagi M, Gujar S, Darwhekar G, Jain D. Emulgel: a review. Asian J Pharm Life Sci. 2011; 2231:4423.
2. Haneefa KM, Easo S, Hafsa PV, Mohanta GP, Nayar C. Emulgel: An advanced review. Journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research. 2013 Dec 1; 5(12):254.
3. Tanaji DN. Emulgel: A comprehensive review for topical delivery of hydrophobic drugs. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics (AJP): Free full-text articles from Asian J Pharm. 2018 Aug 18; 12(02).
4. Kumar D, Singh J, Antil M, Kumar V. Emulgel-novel topical drug delivery system-a comprehensive review. International journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research. 2016 Dec 1; 7(12):4733.
5. Saudagar RB, Khairnar SB. Film Forming Emulgel: An Overview.
6. Panwar A, Upadhyay N, Bairagi M, Gujar S, Darwhekar G, Jain D. Emulgel: a review. Asian J Pharm Life Sci. 2011; 2231:4423.
7. Shehata TM, Nair AB, Al-Dhubiab BE, Shah J, Jacob S, Alhaider IA, Attimarad M, Elsewedy HS, Ibrahim MM. Vesicular emulgel based system for transdermal delivery of insulin: Factorial design and in vivo evaluation. Applied Sciences. 2020 Jan; 10(15):5341.
8. Khan BA, Ullah S, Khan MK, Alshahrani SM, Braga VA. Formulation and evaluation of Ocimum basilicum-based emulgel for wound healing using an animal model. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal. 2020 Dec 1; 28(12):1842-50.
9. Burki IK, Khan MK, Khan BA, Uzair B, Braga VA, Jamil QA. Formulation development, characterization, and evaluation of a novel dexibuprofen-capsaicin skin emulgel with improved in vivo anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2020 Aug; 21(6):1-4.
10. de Souza Ferreira SB, Slowik KM, de Castro Hoshino LV, Baesso ML, Murdoch C, Colley HE, Bruschi ML. Mucoadhesive emulgel systems containing curcumin for oral squamous cell carcinoma treatment: From pre-formulation to cytotoxicity in the tissue-engineering oral mucosa. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2020 Aug 1; 151:105372.
11. Nour El-Din HT, Elhosseiny NM, El-Gendy MA, Mahmoud AA, Hussein MM, Attia AS. A rapid lysostaphin production approach and a convenient novel lysostaphin loaded nano-emulgel; As a sustainable low-cost methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus combating platform. Biomolecules. 2020 Mar; 10(3):435.
12. Khan J, Norfarhani S, Sahu RK, Ruhi S, Kaleemullah M, Al-Dhalli S, Yusuf E. Development and Evaluation of topical Emulgel of Aspirin using different Polymeric Bases. Res. J. Pharm. Technol. 2020 Jan 1; 13(12):6300-4.
13. Siddiqui B, Rehman AU, Haq IU, Ahmad NM, Ahmed N. Development, optimization, and evaluation of nano encapsulated diacerein emulgel for potential use in osteoarthritis. Journal of microencapsulation. 2020 Nov 16; 37(8):595-608.
14. Torregrosa A, Ochoa-Andrade AT, Parente ME, Vidarte A, Guarinoni G, Savio E. Development of an emulgel for the treatment of rosacea using quality by design approach. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy. 2020 Feb 1; 46(2):296-308.
15. Daihom BA, Bendas ER, Mohamed MI, Badawi AA. Development and in vitro evaluation of domperidone/Dowex resinate embedded gastro-floatable emulgel and effervescent alginate beads. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2020 Oct 1; 59:101941.
16. Jagdale SC, Kothekar PV. Development of Emulgel Delivery of Mupirocin for Treatment of Skin Infection. Recent patents on anti-infective drug discovery. 2020 Aug 1; 15(2):137-56.
17. Nordholm-Carstensen A, Perregaard H, Wahlstrøm KL, Hagen KB, Hougaard HT, Krarup PM. Treatment of chronic anal fissure: a feasibility study on Levorag® Emulgel versus Diltiazem gel 2%. International Journal of Colorectal Disease. 2020 Apr; 35(4):615-21.
18. Noronha LL, Ferreira PG, GS Lima C, Borba-Santos LP, Rozental S, de Moraes M, Silva FC, Ferreira VF, Futuro DO. Formulation and evaluation of a novel itraconazole-clotrimazole topical emulgel for the treatment of sporotrichosis. Current Pharmaceutical Design. 2020 Apr 1; 26(14):1566-70.
19. Hariyadi DM, Isnaeni I, Sudarma S, Suciati S, Rosita N. Peel-off emulgel mask of Cocos nucifera L. Extract using gelling agent carbomer 940 as antiacne against Propionibacterium acnes ATCC 11827. Journal of Advanced Pharmaceutical Technology & Research. 2020 Oct; 11(4):220.
20. Arshad W, Khan HM, Akhtar N, Mohammad IS. Polymeric emulgel carrying Cinnamomum Tamala extract: a promising delivery system for potential topical applications. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2020 Apr 6; 56.
21. Koshani R, Tavakolian M, van de Ven TG. Natural emulgel from dialdehyde cellulose for lipophilic drug delivery. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering. 2021 Mar 15; 9(12):4487-97.
22. Pagano C, Baiocchi C, Beccari T, Blasi F, Cossignani L, Ceccarini MR, Orabona C, Orecchini E, Di Raimo E, Primavilla S, Salvini L. Emulgel loaded with flaxseed extracts as new therapeutic approach in wound treatment. Pharmaceutics. 2021 Aug; 13(8):1107.
23. Abdallah MH, Elsewedy HS, AbuLila AS, Almansour K, Unissa R, Elghamry HA, Soliman MS. Quality by Design for Optimizing a Novel Liposomal Jojoba Oil-Based Emulgel to Ameliorate the Anti-Inflammatory Effect of Brucine. Gels. 2021 Dec; 7(4):219.
24. Gusai T, Dhavalkumar M, Soniwala M, Dudhat K, Vasoya J, Chavda J. Formulation and optimization of microsponge-loaded emulgel to improve the transdermal application of acyclovir—a DOE based approach. Drug Delivery and Translational Research. 2021 Oct; 11(5):2009-29.
25. Golshah A, Mirzaeei S, Nikkerdar N, Ghorbani F. Gingivitis effectiveness of emulgel containing 2% resveratrol in orthodontic patients: an 8-week randomized clinical trial. International Journal of Dentistry. 2021 Mar 29; 2021.
26. Badawi NM, Elkafrawy MA, Yehia RM, Attia DA. Clinical comparative study of optimized metronidazole loaded lipid nanocarrier vaginal emulgel for management of bacterial vaginosis and its recurrence. Drug Delivery. 2021 Jan 1; 28(1):814-25.
27. Shanmugarajan TS, Selvan NK, Uppuluri VN. Development and characterization of squalene-loaded topical agar-based emulgel scaffold: wound healing potential in full-thickness burn model. The International Journal of Lower Extremity Wounds. 2021 Dec; 20(4):364-73.
28. de Oliveira Neto AS, Souza IL, Amorim ME, de Freitas Souza T, Rocha VN, do Couto RO, Fabri RL, de Freitas Araújo MG. Antifungal efficacy of atorvastatin-containing emulgel in the treatment of oral and vulvovaginal candidiasis. Medical Mycology. 2021 May; 59(5):476-85.
29. Mohammadi S, Shokri J, Ranjkesh M, Akbari Hamed S, Monajjemzadeh F. Comparative physicochemical stability and clinical anti‐wrinkle efficacy of transdermal emulgel preparations of 5% sodium ascorbyl phosphate and or ascorbic acid on human volunteers. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. 2021 Jan; 20(1):174-80.
30. Tasneem R, Khan HM, Zaka HS, Khan P. Development and cosmeceutical evaluation of topical emulgel containing Albizia lebbeck bark extract. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. 2021 May 22.
31. Nursal FK, Rahmah AS. Formulation and Development of Grape Seed Oil (Vitis Vinifera L) Emulgel Peel-Off Mask using Gelling Agent Hydroxy Propyl Methyl Cellulose (HPMC). InIOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science 2021 Apr 1 (Vol. 755, No. 1, p. 012046). IOP Publishing.
32. Constantino-González KS, Serrano-Castañeda P, Guadarrama-Escobar OR, López-Cervantes M, Domínguez-Delgado CL, Escobar-Chávez JJ. Development and Characterization of Amikacin Loaded Emulgel for the Treatment of Mycetoma. Pharmaceutical Chemistry Journal. 2021 Jan; 54(10):1024-32.
33. Corrêa AC, Oliveira AK, Dourado DM, Facco GG, Bento LM, Rivero-Wendt CL, Matias R. Pouteria ramiflora leaf extract on emulgel in wound healing activity in diabetic rats. Brazilian Journal of Biology. 2021 May 10; 82.
34. Javed H, Shah SN. Mild–Moderate Acne TreatmentMild–Moderate Acne Treatment and Skin Allergic Reaction Treatment Using Aloe vera Emulgel-A Case Study. RADS Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021 Sep 27; 9(2):148-50.
35. Ritmaleni DS, Wulandari T, Zulkarnain AK, Murrukmihadi M. The effect of variation of tetrahydropentagamavunon-0 concentration in lotion and emulgel formula toward acute dermal irritation study. Journal of Advanced Pharmaceutical Technology & Research. 2021 Apr; 12(2):127.
36. Monika, Veena Rajput, Lija Prince. Effectiveness of Video Assisted Teaching Program on knowledge regarding Kegel exercise on Episiotomy pain and wound healing among nursing students of Durg District Chhattisgarh. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2022; 12(1):108-3.
37. S.B. Patil, V.V. Patil, D.S. Ghodke, M.S. Kondawar, N.S. Naikwade, C.S. Magdum. Formulation of Gel and Its UV Protective Study of Some Medicinal Flowers. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 1(2): April-June 2011; Page 34-35.
38. Gajanan Darwhekar, Priya Jain, Dinesh Kumar Jain, Gaurav Agrawal. Development and Optimization of Dorzolamide Hydrochloride and Timolol Maleate in Situ Gel for Glaucoma Treatment. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 1(4): Oct. - Dec. 2011; Page 93-97.
39. Rajesh B. Nawale, Hrishikesh H. Rajput, Mayura A. Kale, Uday A. Deokate. Capillary Electrophoresis: A Potential tool for Separation and Analysis-Brief Review. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2017; 7(4): 243-250.
40. Nitin A. Gaikwad, Abhishek S. Pujari, Indrajeet V. Mane, Ganesh B. Vambhurkar, Pravin P. Honmane. Formulation and Evaluation of Hair gel containing Unani Medicine. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2018; 8(3): 129-136.
41. Nadeem Ahmed Farooqui, Ravindra Pal Singh, Mousumi Kar, Mahavir Chhajed, Jacky Dumbwani. Development of Rapid and Sensitive Reverse Phase High Performance Liquid Chromatography Method for Estimation of Ketorolac Tromethamine in Proniosomal Gel. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2018; 8(3): 157-163.
42. Sonal C. Bankhele, Rupali B. Harale, Monica R P Rao, Madhura V. Dhoka. Thermoreversible In-Situ Ophthalmic Gelling System of Levofloxacin Hemihydrate: Formulation and Optimization by Factorial Design. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2(3): July-Sept. 2012; Page 100-106.
43. Mitul R. Vasanani, Nisha Patel, Divyakant Patel, Rajesh KS, Lalit Lata Jha. Mucoadhesive-Nanoparticulate System for Ocular Delivery of Loteprednol Etabonate. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 4(2): April-June 2014; Page 78-83.
44. Vidya Dange, ShubhangiShid, C.S. Magdum , S.K. Mohite, M.M. Nitalikar. A Review: Dry Emulsion. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 5(4): 2015; 208-210.
45. Bhushan P. Gayakwad, Shashikant D. Barhate, Mayur S. Jain. Citric Acid cross linked cellulose based Hydrogel for Drug Delivery. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2017; 7(4): 247-255.
46. Jamal Basha D, Srinivas Murthy BR, Prakash P, Anuradha KC. Preliminary Phytochemical Investigation and In Vitro Anti Bacterial Studies of Polycarpaeaaurea Wight and Arn (Caryophyllaceae) Emulgel. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2018; 8(3): 151-157.