Aladin Khalaf Alla Elhaj Eltahir, Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Chinthaginjala Haranath, Bake Meharajunnisa, Siriguppa Dheeraj, Badiginchala Navya Sai
Aladin Khalaf Alla Elhaj Eltahir1, Hindustan Abdul Ahad1*, Chinthaginjala Haranath2, Bake Meharajunnisa2, Siriguppa Dheeraj2, Badiginchala Navya Sai2
1Department of Industrial Pharmacy, Raghavendra Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (RIPER)-Autonomous, Ananthapuramu – 515721, Andhra Pradesh, India.
2Department of Pharmaceutics, Raghavendra Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (RIPER)-Autonomous, Ananthapuramu – 515721, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2023
The present afford is to express phytosomes as a tool for aqueous and non-aqueous drug permeation. Phytosomes are prepared by conventional dynamic plant constituents like phospholipid (PL). Phytosomes build the interest of traditionalists in homegrown concentrates, in any case, energetic standards both orally and topically. Extensive literature from reputed journals was gathered and listed various drugs so far tried in the past decade. The phytosomes are capable of being used to induce acute and chronic liver failure due to enhanced pharmacological and pharmacokinetic assets. Phytosomes have successfully entered the market and are not well known as they are in the patent lock period. The study concludes that phytosomes are promising dosage forms for the delivery of plant extracts, which consist of both polar and non-polar constituents.
Cite this article:
Aladin Khalaf Alla Elhaj Eltahir, Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Chinthaginjala Haranath, Bake Meharajunnisa, Siriguppa Dheeraj, Badiginchala Navya Sai. Novel Phytosomes as Drug Delivery Systems and its Past Decade Trials. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology.2023; 15(1):51-4. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2023.00009
Aladin Khalaf Alla Elhaj Eltahir, Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Chinthaginjala Haranath, Bake Meharajunnisa, Siriguppa Dheeraj, Badiginchala Navya Sai. Novel Phytosomes as Drug Delivery Systems and its Past Decade Trials. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology.2023; 15(1):51-4. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2023.00009 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-15-1-9
1. Demir B, Barlas F, Guler E, Gumus P, Can M, Yavuz M, et al. Gold nanoparticle loaded phytosomal systems: synthesis, characterization and in vitro investigations. RSC advances. 2014;4(65):34687-95.
2. Khan J, Alexander A, Saraf S, Saraf S. Recent advances and future prospects of phyto-phospholipid complexation technique for improving pharmacokinetic profile of plant actives. Journal of controlled release. 2013;168(1):50-60.
3. Ahad HA, Haranath C, Rahul Raghav D, Gowthami M, Naga Jyothi V, Sravanthi P. Overview on Recent Optimization Techniques in Gastro Retentive Microcapsules by Factorial Design. Int J Pharm Sci Res. 2019;10(9):247-54.
4. Ahad HA, Haranath C, Vikas SS, Varam NJ, Ksheerasagare T, Gorantla SP. A review on enzyme activated drug delivery system. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Jan 29;14(1):516-22.
5. Pawar HA, Bhangale BD. Phytosome as a novel biomedicine: a microencapsulated drug delivery system. J Bioanal Biomed. 2015;7(1):06-12.
6. Sailaja K, Ahad HA, Chinthaginjala H, Gudisipalli R, Rajyalakshmi SI, Vagganagari Y. Approaches to Creating and Past Successful Attempts on Microspheres: A Primer for Aspiring Researchers. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2022 Jul 16;14(3):245-8.
7. Kumar LS, Ahad HA. A Review on Progressive Trends in Pharmaceutical Nano Emulsions and their Assessment. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022 Aug 30;15(8):3782-9.
8. Sharma S, Roy RK. Phytosomes: an emerging technology. Int J Pharm Res Dev. 2010;2(5):1-7.
9. Ghanbarzadeh B, Babazadeh A, Hamishehkar H. Nano-phytosome as a potential food-grade delivery system. Food bioscience. 2016;15:126-35.
10. Patel J, Patel R, Khambholja K, Patel N. An overview of phytosomes as an advanced herbal drug delivery system. Asian J Pharm Sci. 2009;4(6):363-71.
11. Fouziya B, Ahad HA, Charan DS, Vidya JS, Reddy UC, Reddy PN. Fabrication and Evaluation of Cefpodoxime Proxetil Niosomes. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022 May 25;12(2):109-12.
12. Jain N, Gupta BP, Thakur N, Jain R, Banweer J, Jain DK, et al. Phytosome: a novel drug delivery system for herbal medicine. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research. 2010;2(4):224-8.
13. Guliani A, Singla R, Kumari A, Yadav SK. Liposomal and phytosomal formulations. Nanoscale Materials in Targeted Drug Delivery, Theragnosis and Tissue Regeneration: Springer; 2016. p. 81-102.
14. Singh B, Awasthi R, Ahmad A, Saifi A. Phytosome: Most significant tool for herbal drug delivery to enhance the therapeutic benefits of phytoconstituents. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2018;8(1):98-102.
15. Abdul Ahad H, Sreeramulu J, Padmaja BS, Reddy MN, Prakash PG. Preparation of Fluconazole 𝜷-Cyclodextrin Complex Ocuserts: In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation. International Scholarly Research Notices. 2011;2011.
16. Athmouni K, Mkadmini Hammi K, El Feki A, Ayadi H. Development of catechin–phospholipid complex to enhance the bioavailability and modulatory potential against cadmium-induced oxidative stress in rats liver. Archives of physiology and biochemistry. 2020;126(1):82-8.
17. Li H, Lu S, Luo M, Li X, Liu S, Zhang T. A matrix dispersion based on phospholipid complex system: preparation, lymphatic transport, and pharmacokinetics. Drug development and industrial pharmacy. 2020;46(4):557-65.
18. Wang W, Zhang W, Jiang Y, Wang X, Zhang X, Liu H, et al. Preparation of ursolic acid–phospholipid complex by solvent-assisted grinding method to improve dissolution and oral bioavailability. Pharmaceutical development and technology. 2020;25(1):68-75.
19. Zhao X, Shi C, Zhou X, Lin T, Gong Y, Yin M, et al. Preparation of a nanoscale dihydromyricetin-phospholipid complex to improve the bioavailability: in vitro and in vivo evaluations. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2019;138:104994.
20. Qin L, Niu Y, Wang Y, Chen X. Combination of phospholipid complex and submicron emulsion techniques for improving oral bioavailability and therapeutic efficacy of water-insoluble drug. Molecular pharmaceutics. 2018;15(3):1238-47.
21. Xu Y, Zhang X, Zhang Y, Ye J, Wang H-L, Xia X, et al. Mechanisms of deformable nanovesicles based on insulin-phospholipid complex for enhancing buccal delivery of insulin. International journal of nanomedicine. 2018;13:7319.
22. Gnananath K, Nataraj KS, Rao BG. Phospholipid complex technique for superior bioavailability of phytoconstituents. Advanced pharmaceutical bulletin. 2017;7(1):35.
23. Zhou Y, Dong W, Ye J, Hao H, Zhou J, Wang R, et al. A novel matrix dispersion based on phospholipid complex for improving oral bioavailability of baicalein: preparation, in vitro and in vivo evaluations. Drug delivery. 2017;24(1):720-8.
24. Cheng W, Li X, Zhang C, Chen W, Yuan H, Xu S. Preparation and in vivo-in vitro evaluation of polydatin-phospholipid complex with improved dissolution and bioavailability. Int J Drug Dev Res. 2017;9:39-43.
25. Wannasarit S, Puttarak P, Kaewkroek K, Wiwattanapatapee R. Strategies for improving healing of the gastric epithelium using oral solid dispersions loaded with pentacyclic triterpene–rich centella extract. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2019;20(7):1-13.
26. Zhang K, Zhang M, Liu Z, Zhang Y, Gu L, Hu G, et al. Development of quercetin-phospholipid complex to improve the bioavailability and protection effects against carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in SD rats. Fitoterapia. 2016;113:102-9.
27. Jiang Q, Yang X, Du P, Zhang H, Zhang T. Dual strategies to improve oral bioavailability of oleanolic acid: Enhancing water-solubility, permeability and inhibiting cytochrome P450 isozymes. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics. 2016;99:65-72.
28. Yang X, Jiang Q, Du P, Zhao J, Zhang T. Preparation and characterization of solidified oleanolic acid–phospholipid complex aiming to improve the dissolution of oleanolic acid. asian journal of pharmaceutical sciences. 2016;11(2):241-7.
29. Vora AK, Londhe VY, Pandita NS. Preparation and characterization of standardized pomegranate extract-phospholipid complex as an effective drug delivery tool. Journal of advanced pharmaceutical technology & research. 2015;6(2):75.
30. Hooresfand Z, Ghanbarzadeh S, Hamishehkar H. Preparation and characterization of rutin-loaded nanophytosomes. Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015;21(3):145-51.
31. Yang J-H, Zhang L, Li J-S, Chen L-H, Zheng Q, Chen T, et al. Enhanced oral bioavailability and prophylactic effects on oxidative stress and hepatic damage of an oil solution containing a rosmarinic acid–phospholipid complex. Journal of functional foods. 2015;19:63-73.
32. Pereira A, Mallya R. Formulation and evaluation of a photoprotectant cream containing Phyllanthus emblica extract-phospholipid complex. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2015;4(2).
33. Li F, Yang X, Yang Y, Li P, Yang Z, Zhang C. Phospholipid complex as an approach for bioavailability enhancement of echinacoside. Drug development and industrial pharmacy. 2015;41(11):1777-84.
34. Maryana W, Rahma A, Mudhakir D, Rachmawati H, editors. Phytosome containing silymarin for oral administration: Formulation and physical evaluation. Journal of Biomimetics, Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering; 2015: Trans Tech Publ.
35. Khan J, Alexander A, Saraf S, Saraf S. Luteolin–phospholipid complex: preparation, characterization and biological evaluation. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2014;66(10):1451-62.
36. Angelico R, Ceglie A, Sacco P, Colafemmina G, Ripoli M, Mangia A. Phyto-liposomes as nanoshuttles for water-insoluble silybin–phospholipid complex. International journal of pharmaceutics. 2014 Aug 25;471(1-2):173-81.
37. Yu J, Zhang Z, Wei J, Ling Y, Xu W, Su Z. SFGD: a comprehensive platform for mining functional information from soybean transcriptome data and its use in identifying acyl-lipid metabolism pathways. BMC genomics. 2014 Dec;15(1):1-5.
38. Ma H, Chen H, Sun L, Tong L, Zhang T. Improving permeability and oral absorption of mangiferin by phospholipid complexation. Fitoterapia. 2014 Mar 1;93:54-61.
39. Hou Z, Li Y, Huang Y, Zhou C, Lin J, Wang Y, Cui F, Zhou S, Jia M, Ye S, Zhang Q. Phytosomes loaded with mitomycin C–soybean phosphatidylcholine complex developed for drug delivery. Molecular pharmaceutics. 2013 Jan 7;10(1):90-101.