Jagruti J. Pansare, Ujwala N. Pagar, Raj H. Dode, Prasad S. Mogal, Rajendra K. Surawase
Jagruti J. Pansare, Ujwala N. Pagar, Raj H. Dode, Prasad S. Mogal, Rajendra K. Surawase
Department of Pharmaceutics, Loknete Dr. J. D. Pawar College of Pharmacy, Manur, Tal. Kalwan- 423501 Dist.-Nashik, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2022
Fluidized bed processor is the popular and successful technique widely being in pharmaceutical industries. Fluidized bed processor was developed in 1950. In this paper, the information about principal, spraying techniques of fluidized bed processor and recent applications of FBP in pharmaceutical industries were reviewed. In face, it is more often than not the last step in the manufacturing process. The fluid bed system has a bed of solid discrete particle which are fluidized upward by passing a stream of air through a perforated sheet. The air is heated and the process hot air evaporate the fluid and dries the solid. There are three types of spraying techniques, the top spray commonly applicable for formation of granules to improve the flow characteristics of powder. The bottom spray is required for optimal application of coating material to the particle and achieves desire drying. The tangential spray used to ensure homogenous granulation. This insures good product at a lower cost than traditional drying methods. For instance, low moisture content in the polymer product is a prerequisite for subsequent extrusion processes. The main applications of fluidized bed processor, such as pelletization, particle coating, granulation powder and drying. This technology commonly employed for formed granules for tableting, capsule, excellent solubility, dust free process, fee flow properties, good dispensability due to porous structure.
Cite this article:
Jagruti J. Pansare, Ujwala N. Pagar, Raj H. Dode, Prasad S. Mogal, Rajendra K. Surawase. Fluidized Bed Processing: Versatile Technique in Dosage form Development. Res. J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech.2022; 14(1):87-3. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2022.00014
Jagruti J. Pansare, Ujwala N. Pagar, Raj H. Dode, Prasad S. Mogal, Rajendra K. Surawase. Fluidized Bed Processing: Versatile Technique in Dosage form Development. Res. J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech.2022; 14(1):87-3. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2022.00014 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-14-1-14
1. Rupam A. Wagh, Rajendra K. Surawase. Formulation and Development of Sustained Release Pellets of Nifedipine by Fluidized Bed Processor. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(4):1757-1761. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00317.0
2. Kumar P, Tiwari R, Chaurasia B, Sahu RR, Tripathi FM, Bhardhwaj A. Multi Particulate Extended Release Formulation for Propranolol Hydrochloride. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.3 (3): 2010; 835-839.
3. Pusapati RT, Rao TV. Fluidized bed processing: A review. Indian Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Biotechnology. 2014 ;2(4):1360
4. Srivastava, S., and G. Mishra. “Fluid Bed Technology: overview AND Parameters for Process Selection”. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research,2018. 2,.(4) Sept. 236-4, http://ijpsdr.com/index.php/ijpsdr/article/view/134.
5. Ray C., S.B. Reddy K., Introduction to fluidization, American Institute of chemical Engineering 2014, 21-29
6. Bui T. Thanh, Le A. Duuc, Determination of fluidization velocity types of the continuous refined salt fluidized bed drying, intech open 2020. DOI: 10.5772/intechoen.92077
7. Hassan Khawaja, Review of the phenomenon of fluidization and its numerical modelling techniques he International Journal of Multiphysics,2015 9(4):397-408 DOI: 10.1260/1750-95126.96.36.1997
8. Pranati S., Abanti S., Fluidization and Spouting of Fine Particles: A Comparison, Advance in materials science and technology,2013 https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/369380
9. Miichael E. Aulton, Pharmaceutics The design And Manufacture of Medicine, 3rd edition 429-30
10. Dewettinck K, Huyghebaert A. Top-spray fluidized bed coating: Effect of process variables on coating efficiency. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 1998 ;31(6):568-75
11. Hersey JA. Ordered mixing: A new concept in powder mixing practice. Powder Technol. 1975; 11: 41–44
12. Mohylyuk, V., Patel, K., Scott, N. Wurster Fluidised Bed Coating of Microparticles: Towards Scalable Production of Oral Sustained-Release Liquid Medicines for Patients with Swallowing Difficulties. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech, 3 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1208/s12249-019-1534-5
13. Continuous pellet coating in a Wurster fluidized bed process 2013 Chemical Engineering Science 86:87–98 DOI: 10.1016/j.ces.2012.05.034
14. Cheng X. X. & Turton R. The Prediction of Variability Occurring in Fluidized Bed Coating Equipment. The Measurement of Particle Circulation Rates in a Bottom-Spray Fluidized Bed Coater, Pharmaceutical Development and Technology, 2000 5:3, 311-322, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1081/PDT-100100546
15. Deru R., Mate V. Z., Lustrick Fluid-bed coater modifications and study of their influence on the coating process of pellets Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy 2011 38(4):50DOI: 10.3109/03639045.2011.617754
16. Elsergany, R.N., Chan L.W. & Heng P.W.S. Application of the Modified Tangential Spray-Fluidized Bed to Produce Nonpareils from Primary Crystals. AAPS PharmSciTech (2019) 20, 138. https://doi.org/10.1208/s12249-019-1345-8
17. Grace J.R., Bi H. Introduction to Circulating Fluidized Beds. In: Grace J.R., Avidan A.A., Knowlton T.M. (eds) Circulating Fluidized Beds. Springer, Dordrecht. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-009-0095-0_1
18. D.M. Jones., Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, 113-142 (1989).
19. O. Paeratakul and R. Bodmeier., Multiparticulates oral drug delivery, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York. 79-112 (1994).
20. Abhishek K. Sah, Manmohan Singh Jangdey, Sanjay J. Daharwal. Abhishek K. Sah, Manmohan Singh Jangdey, Sanjay J. Daharwal. Tablet Coating Technology: An Overview. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2014; 4 (2) 83-97.
21. B G, S N, Nagam Sp, Nadendla Rr. Formulation And Evaluation of Extended Release Pellets Of Pioglitazone Hydrochloride Using Natural And Synthetic Polymers By Fluidized Bed Coating Technique. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2019 (7)
22. Dewettinck K, Huyghebaert A. Fluidized bed coating in food technology. Trends in Food Science & Technology. 1999 1;10(4-5):163-8.
23. Keyur D. Baruwala, Shyam H. Mistry, Nrupal R. Modi, Anil G. Jadhav. A Review on Solvent less coating: Recent Advances in Pharmaceutical Coating. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4(6): 2011; 851-860.
24. Chen-Long Duan, Xiao Liu, Bin Shan, , and Rong Chen, Fluidized bed coupled rotary reactor for nanoparticles coating via atomic layer deposition the American Institute of Physics 86, 075101 (2015); doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4926349
25. Haron NS, Zakaria JH, Batcha MM. Recent advances in fluidized bed drying. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 2017, 243(1), 012038.
26. Wan Ramli WanDaud Fluidized Bed Dryers — Recent Advances 2008 19 (5), 403-418 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8831(08)60909-7
27. Recent advances in fluidized bed drying 2017 IOP Conference Series Materials Science and Engineering 243(1):012038 DOI: 10.1088/1757-899X/243/1/012038
28. Shinde N., Aloorkar N., Kulkarni A., Bangar B., Sulake S., Kumbhar P. Recent Advances in Granulation Techniques. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 4(1): 2014; 38-47.
29. Rantanen J, Jørgensen A, Räsänen E, Luukkonen P, Airaksinen S, Raiman J, Process analysis of fluidized bed granulation. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2001;2(4):13-20.
30. Poonam R, Himansu C. Granulation Technology: Current Status and Recent Advances. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 7(8): 2014 946-951.
31. Sahoo CK. Mohan Rao S. R., Sudhakar M., Bhaskar J.. Advances in Granulation Technology. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(5): 571-580. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2016.00108.6
32. Gowripattapu S, Vasanthi K, S. Madhavi L. Review on a novel approach in Recent Advances of granulation techniques and technologies. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(2): 607-617. doi:10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00119.6
33. Kuang, C., Sun, Y., ... He, Z., 2017. Preparation and evaluation of duloxetine hydrochloride enteric-coated pellets with different enteric polymers. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 12, 216–226. doi:10.1016/j.ajps.2016.08.007
34. Kristensen J. Direct pelletization in a rotary processor controlled by torque measurements, investigation of microcrystalline cellulose and lactose grade. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech. 2005; 6: E495- E503
35. Susmit S. Diggikar, Tanaji D. Nandgude, Sushilkumar S. Poddar. Formulation of Modified Release Pellets of Montelukast Sodium. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(1): 31-37. doi:10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00006.9
36. Gambhire M. S.,Lilke S., Gambhire V.M.. Microencapsulation- An Overeview. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2010; 2(4): 270-276