Lakunde Sathish Kumar Jyothika, Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Chinthaginjala Haranath, Shaik Kousar, Hothur Dharani pal Gowd, Sampathikota Halima Sadiya
Lakunde Sathish Kumar Jyothika*, Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Chinthaginjala Haranath, Shaik Kousar, Hothur Dharani pal Gowd, Sampathikota Halima Sadiya
Department of Industrial Pharmacy, Raghavendra Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (RIPER) - Autonomous, Ananthapuramu, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
The work is aimed at giving an overview of transdermal drug delivery systems (TDDS). In TDDS, an effective amount of a drug is applied across the skin at a controlled rate for the systemic effect. TDDS has become increasingly popular. In the last 30 years, it has been proposed as a potential new drug delivery system. These comprise more efficacious treatments and a reduced risk of adverse events; ensure safety; maintain steady-state plasma levels of drugs, while incapacitating the significant hitches of conventional oral dosage forms and parenteral preparations. It is best suited for diseases that require long-term, frequent dosing treatment. This review deals with drugs, polymers, and methods adopted in making TDDS in recent years by referring to reputed journals and textbooks. The authors succeed in gathering the information and the literature on the TDDS. The study concludes that the literature so far will help the researchers with a quick reference on the attempts so far made on TDDS.
Cite this article:
Lakunde Sathish Kumar Jyothika, Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Chinthaginjala Haranath, Shaik Kousar, Hothur Dharani pal Gowd, Sampathikota Halima Sadiya. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology.2022; 14(2):157-2. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2022.00025
Lakunde Sathish Kumar Jyothika, Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Chinthaginjala Haranath, Shaik Kousar, Hothur Dharani pal Gowd, Sampathikota Halima Sadiya. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology.2022; 14(2):157-2. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2022.00025 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-14-2-10
1. Ahad HA, Kumar BP, Haranath C, Reddy KS. Fabrication and evaluation of glimepiride Ficus benghalensis fruit mucilage matrix transdermal patches. International Journal of Chemical Sciences. 2009;7(4):2294-8.
2. Swetha T, Ahad HA, Reddy KK, Sekhar AC, Sivaji S, Kumar BA. Formulation and in-vitro permeation studies of Ketoprofen-Ficus reticulata fruit mucilage transdermal patches. Der Pharmacia Lettre. 2010;2(6):190-9.
3. Ahad HA, Kiranmaye N, Yasmeen R, Ruksana H, Muneer S. Designing and Evaluation of Glimepiride Ficus glomerata Fruit Mucilage Matrix Transdermal Patches. Asian Journal of Chemistry. 2010 Apr 20;22(4):2935.
4. Shravani Y, Ahad HA, Haranath C, gari Poojitha B, Rahamathulla S, Rupasree A. Past Decade Work Done on Cubosomes Using Factorial Design: A Fast-Track Information for Researchers. (2021). Int. J. Life Sci. Pharma Res.;11(1): P124-135.
5. Anuradha CM, Ahad HA, Sreekanth K, Abhilash A, Prabhuraj KJ, Swapna K. Pharma Research Library International Journal of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Research 2013, Vol. 1 (1): 127-134.
6. Ahad HA, Sreeramulu J, Bindu VH, Ramyasree P, Padmaja BS, Sravanthi M. Isolation and physicochemical characterization of Ficus reticulata fruit mucilage. International Journal of Green Pharmacy (IJGP). 2011;5(2).
7. Ahad HA, Reddy BK, Ishaq BM, Kumar CH, Kumar CS. Fabrication and in vitro evaluation of glibenclamide Abelmoschus esculentus fruit mucilage-controlled release matrix tablets. Journal of Pharmacy research. 2010;3(5):943-6.
8. Ullah W, Nawaz A, Akhlaq M, Shah KU, Latif MS, Alfatama M. Transdermal delivery of gatifloxacin carboxymethyl cellulose-based patches: Preparation and characterization. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2021 Dec 1;66: 102783.
9. Zhou B, Liu S, Yin H, Qi M, Hong M, Ren GB. Development of Gliclazide ionic liquid and the transdermal patches: an effective and noninvasive sustained release formulation to achieve hypoglycemic effects. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021 Jun 17:105915.
10. Musazzi UM, Gennari CG, Franzè S, Minghetti P, Cilurzo F. Printing of cutaneous patches loaded with propranolol for the treatment of infantile haemangiomas. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2021 Dec 1;66: 102767.
11. Bhatia C, Sachdeva M, Bajpai M. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal patch of pregabalin. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2012 Feb 1;3(2):569.
12. Das R, Kolhe SN, Patil A, Wadher KA, Umekar M. Development and evaluation of transdermal patches with cissus quadrangularis plant extract. Int. J. Life science and Pharma Res. 2018 Apr 1;8(2), 29-34.
13. Shailesh T. Prajapati, Vipul Bhai Mandi. Formulation Development of Rotigotine Transdermal system using Dot-Matrix Technology. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Drug Sciences and Research. 2020. Volume 12 Issue 4. 404-414.
14. Sharma N, Sharma S, Kaushik R. Formulation and Evaluation of Lornoxicam Transdermal patches using various Permeation Enhancers. International Journal of Drug Delivery Technology. 2019 Dec 22;9(04):597-607.
15. Hulyalkar S, Shivakumar HN, Patil AS, Rao R. The Formulation and Evaluation of Rasagiline Mesylate Transdermal Patch for Enhanced Topical Delivery: Rasagiline Mesylate Transdermal Patch for Enhanced Topical Delivery. Journal of Tropical and Infectious Diseases. 2020 Aug 11;1(1), 1-6.
16. Mahajan NM, Zode GH, Mahapatra DK, Thakre S, Dumore N, Gangane PS. Formulation development and evaluation of transdermal patch of piroxicam for treating dysmenorrhoea. J Appl Pharm Sci. 2018 Nov;8(11):35-41.
17. Suksaeree J, Piamsap K, Paktham S, Kenprom T, Monton C, Pichayakorn W. Formulation development of matrix type transdermal patches containing mefenamic acid: physicochemical characterization and in vitro release evaluation. Monatshefte für Chemie-Chemical Monthly. 2017 Jul;148(7):1215-1222.
18. Ganti SS, Bhattaccharjee SA, Murnane KS, Blough BE, Banga AK. Formulation and evaluation of 4-benzylpiperidine drug-in-adhesive matrix type transdermal patch. International journal of pharmaceutics. 2018 Oct 25;550(1-2):71-78.
19. Furuishi T, Kunimasu K, Fukushima K, Ogino T, Okamoto K, Yonemochi E, Tomono K, Suzuki T. Formulation design and evaluation of a transdermal drug delivery system containing a novel eptazocine salt with the Eudragit E adhesive. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2019 Dec 1;54: 101289.
20. Chauhan SB, Naved T, Parvez N. Formulation, and development of transdermal drug delivery system of ethinylestradiol and testosterone: in vitro evaluation. International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics. 2019 Jan 7:55-60.
21. Rramaswamy R, Mani G, Venkatachalam S, Venkata RY, Lavanya JS, Choi EY. Tetrahydro curcumin loaded PCL-PEG electrospun transdermal nanofiber patch: preparation, characterization, and in vitro diffusion evaluations. J Drug Deliv Sci Technol. 2018 Apr 1;44: 342-348.
22. Panchayya Hiremath SS, Reddy JJ, Jamakandi VG. Design and evaluation of transdermal patches of timolol maleate. Current drug delivery. 2018 Jun 1;15(5):658-663.
23. Yani F, Arianto A, Noersal R. Formulation of Ketoprofen Transdermal Solid Dispersion Patch as an Analgesic and Anti-Inflammatory. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Development. 2020 Jun 15;8(3):51-8.
24. Sunitha C. Formulation and evaluation of nicotine transdermal patches by the using of hydrophilic and hydrophobic polymers. World journal of pharmaceutical Research, 2018, 7 (16); 1101-1115.
25. Tombs EL, Nikolaou V, Nurumbetov G, Haddleton DM. Transdermal delivery of ibuprofen utilizing a novel solvent-free pressure-sensitive adhesive (PSA): TEPI® technology. Journal of pharmaceutical innovation. 2018 Mar;13(1):48-57.
26. Cherukuri S, Batchu UR, Mandava K, Cherukuri V, Ganapuram KR. Formulation, and evaluation of transdermal drug delivery of topiramate. International journal of pharmaceutical investigation. 2017 Jan;7(1):10.
27. K. Sandhya Rani, Sunil Reddy, A.Venkatesham. Formulation development and invitro evaluation of fentanyl patches for transdermal drug delivery system. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biological Sciences, 2017; 5(5):188-193.
28. Srilakshmi A, Teja VR, Lakshmi K, Thippesh M, Salma SU, Nagendrababu B. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal patches of Irbesartan. Indian Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Biotechnology. 2017;5(3):212-215.
29. Sandip A. Murtale, Doddayya Hiremath, Vishnu A. Kangralkar, Veerrendra C. Yeligar, Sachinkumar V. Patil, Shitalkumar S. Patil Development and Evaluations of Transdermal Delivery of Selegiline Hydrochloride. International Journal of Innovative Science and Research Technology. 2017; 2 (6), 391-404.
30. Sadeghi M, Ganji F, Taghizadeh SM, Daraei B. Preparation and characterization of rivastigmine transdermal patch based on chitosan microparticles. Iranian journal of pharmaceutical research: IJPR. 2016;15(3):283.
31. Budhathoki U, Gartoulla K, Shakya S. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal patches of atenolol. Indonesian Journal of Pharmacy. 2016 Dec 23;27(4):196.
32. Saleem MN, Adhyapak AA, Desai BG. Formulation and evaluation of liposomal transdermal patch for targeted drug delivery of tamoxifen citrate for breast cancer. Indian Journal of Health Sciences and Biomedical Research (KLEU). 2016 Jan 1;9(1):40.
33. Saleem MN, Idris M. Formulation design and development of a unani transdermal patch for antiemetic therapy and its pharmaceutical evaluation. Scientifica. 2016 Jun 15;2016, 1-5.
34. R Madan J, S Argade N, Dua K. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal patches of donepezil. Recent patents on drug delivery & formulation. 2015 Apr 1;9(1):95-103.
35. Jung E, Lee EY, Choi HK, Ban SJ, Choi SH, Kim JS, Yoon IS, Kim DD. Development of drug-in-adhesive patch formulations for transdermal delivery of fluoxetine: In vitro and in vivo evaluations. International journal of pharmaceutics. 2015 Jun 20;487(1-2):49-55.
36. Zhan X, Mao Z, Chen S, Chen S, Wang L. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal drug-delivery system of isosorbide dinitrate. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015 Apr; 51:373-82.
37. Suksaeree J, Charoenchai L, Madaka F, Monton C, Sakunpak A, Charoonratana T, Pichayakorn W. Zingiber cassumunar blended patches for skin application: Formulation, physicochemical properties, and in vitro studies. asian journal of pharmaceutical sciences. 2015 Jul 1;10(4):341-9.
38. Kanabar VB, Patel VP, Doshi SM. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal patch of Cefdinir with various polymers. The Pharma Innovation. 2015 Aug 1;4(6, Part B):74.
39. Sadhasivam LI, Dey N, Francis AP, Devasena T. Transdermal patches of chitosan nanoparticles for insulin delivery. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2015;7(5):84-8.
40. Savoji H, Mehdizadeh A, Ramazani Saadat Abadi A. Transdermal nitroglycerin delivery using acrylic matrices: design, formulation, and in vitro characterization. International Scholarly Research Notices. 2014;2014, 1-9.
41. Wang Y, Su W, Li Q, Li C, Wang H, Li Y, Cao Y, Chang J, Zhang L. Preparation and evaluation of lidocaine hydrochloride-loaded TAT-conjugated polymeric liposomes for transdermal delivery. International journal of pharmaceutics. 2013 Jan 30;441(1-2):748-756.
42. Kumar SS, Behury B, Sachinkumar P. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal patch of Stavudine. Dhaka University Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2013 Sep 2;12(1):63-69.
43. Mohd F, Bontha LS, Bontha VK, Vemula SK. Formulation and Evaluation of Transdermal Films of Ondansetron Hydrochloride. MOJ Bioequiv Availab. 2017;3(4):00039.
44. Chaudhary H, Saini S, Singh G. Formulation and evaluation of fexofenadine hydrochloride transdermal patch. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2012 Sep 15;2(5), 20-23.
45. Shaoul E, Ayalon A, Tal Y, Lotan T. Transdermal delivery of scopolamine by natural submicron injectors: in-vivo study in pig. PLoS One. 2012 Feb 21;7(2): e 31922.
46. Verma A, Verma B, Prajapati S, Tripathi S. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal therapeutic system of matrix type clonidine hydrochloride. Der Pharmacia Letter. 2012;4(4):1137-42.
47. Patel RP, Patel G, Patel H, Baria A. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal patch of aceclofenac. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2009;1(2):108-15.
48. Banerjee A, Chakraverty MH, Dey S, Basak D, Biswas C. Preparation and evaluation of aspirin transdermal patch using HPMC. Int J Pharma Sci Rev Res. 2012;15(1):45-6.
49. Lade UB, Amgaonkar YM, Chikhale RV, Biyani DM, Umekar MJ. Design, formulation and evaluation of transdermal drug delivery system of budesonide. Pharmacology & Pharmacy. 2011 Jul 26;2(03):199.
50. Prajapati ST, Patel CG, Patel CN. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal patch of repaglinide. International Scholarly Research Notices. 2011; 2011, 1-9.
51. Ahmed MG, Kumar KG, Kumar SB. Formulation and evaluation of nifedipine transdermal patches. Journal of Pharmacy Research. 2010;3(8):1785-7.
52. Saraswathi R, Krishnan PN, Dilip C, Ali TS. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal patches of curcumin. Der Pharmacia Lettre. 2010;2(5):117-26.
53. Charoo NA, Shamsher AA, Kohli K, Pillai K, Rahman Z. Improvement in bioavailability of transdermally applied flurbiprofen using tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) and turpentine oil. Colloids and surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2008 Sep 1;65(2):300-7.
54. Mutalik S, Udupa N, Kumar S, Agarwal S, Subramanian G, Ranjith AK. Glipizide matrix transdermal systems for diabetes mellitus: Preparation, in vitro and preclinical studies. Life sciences. 2006 Sep 13;79(16):1568-77.
55. Saxena M, Mutalik S, Reddy MS. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal patches of metoclopramide hydrochloride. Indian Drugs. 2006;43(9):740-5.
56. Jain SK, Vyas SP, Dixit VK. Effective and controlled transdermal delivery of ephedrine. Journal of Controlled Release. 1990 May 1;12(3):257-63.