Kumara Swamy Samanthula, Agaiah Goud Bairi, Shobha Rani Satla, Mahendra Kumar CB
Kumara Swamy Samanthula1, Agaiah Goud Bairi2, Shobha Rani Satla3, Mahendra Kumar CB4
1Vaagdevi Pharmacy College, Bollikunta, Warangal.
2SRR College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Valbhapur, Warangal.
3Centre for Pharmaceutical Sciences, IST, JNTU, Kukatpally, Hyderabad.
4St. Mary's College of Pharmacy, Secunderabad, Telangana, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2021
Cefixime trihydrate (CT) is a third-generation cephalosporin antibiotic and is used in the management of various infections caused by Gram +ve as well as Gram – ve bacteria. It has a plasma half-life of 3-4 h. It has poor oral bioavailability due to hepatic first pass metabolism. Hence, an attempt was made to develop CT mucoadhesive tablets for buccal delivery to avoid first-pass metabolism and improved oral delivery. CT mucoadhesive tablets developed using HPMC K4M, Na-CMC, guar gum and chitosan as rate controlling polymers and mucoadhesive agent, respectively and compressed by direct compression method. The prepared CT mucoadhesive tablets were evaluated for hardness, weight variation, thickness, friability, drug content uniformity, assay, mucoadhesive strength and in vitro release. From the results, all the evaluated parameters were within the pharmacopoeial limits. The in-vitro dissolution studies indicated that the CTmucoadhesive tablets formulation (F2) showed 99.7±1.4 % of drug release after 8 h and chose as the optimized formulation. The kinetic models suggest that the drug release follows Higuchi’s kinetics and tablets drug release was controlled by a diffusion mechanism.
Cite this article:
Kumara Swamy Samanthula, Agaiah Goud Bairi, Shobha Rani Satla, Mahendra Kumar CB. Effect of various Polymers on Drug Release from Mucoadhesive Tablets of Cefixime Trihydrate. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2021; 13(3):167-3. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2021.00030
Kumara Swamy Samanthula, Agaiah Goud Bairi, Shobha Rani Satla, Mahendra Kumar CB. Effect of various Polymers on Drug Release from Mucoadhesive Tablets of Cefixime Trihydrate. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2021; 13(3):167-3. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2021.00030 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-13-3-1
1. Sirisolla J, Ramanamurthy KV. Formulation and Evaluation of Cefixime Trihydrate Matrix Tablets Using HPMC, Sodium CMC, Ethyl Cellulose. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2015; 77(3): 321-327.
2. Akelesh T et al. Formulation and Evaluation of Floating Tablets of Cefixime Trihydrate Using Chitosan. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. Nov 2015; 8(11): 1502-1508.
3. Selvakumar S, Ravichandran S, Matsyagiri L. Development and Validation of analytical method for Simultaneous estimation of Ornidazole and Cefixime trihydrate tablet dosage forms by UV spectroscopy. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2016; 6(4): 246-252.
4. Dhawan S, Singla AK, Sinha VR. Evaluation of mucoadhesive properties of chitosan microspheres prepared by different methods. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech. Jul 26 2004; 5(4): 67.
5. Vijayanand P, Jagadevappa P, Venkata RM. Formulation, characterization and in vivo evaluation of novel edible dosage form containing nebivolol HCl. 2016; 52, (1); 179-189
6. Rajitha R, Narendar D, Arjun N, Mahipal D and Nagaraj B. Colon delivery of naproxen: preparation, characterization and in vivo evaluation. IJPSN, 2016; 9(3), 1-10.
7. Doodipala R. A review of novel formulation strategies to enhance oral delivery of zaleplon. J Bioequvi avail. 2016; 8(5): 211-213.
8. Arjun N, Narendar D, Sunitha K, Harika K, Madhusudan Rao Y and Nagaraj B. Development, evaluation and influence of formulation and process variables on in vitro performance of oral elementary osmotic device of atenolol. Int J Pharm Invest.2016; 6(4): 1-9.
9. Ettireddy S, Dudhipala N. Influence of β-Cyclodextrin and Hydroxypropyl-β-Cyclodextrin on Enhancement of Solubility and Dissolution of Isradipine. Int J Pharma Sci and Nanotech. 2017;10(3): 3752-7.
10. Palem CR, Reddy ND, Satyanarayana G, Varsha BP. Development and optimization of Atorvastatin calcium-cyclodextrin inclusion complexed oral disintegrating tablets for enhancement of solubility, dissolution, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic activity by central composite design. Int J Pharm Sci Nanotech. 2016; 9(2): 1-11.
11. Butreddy A, Narendar D. Enhancement of solubility and dissolution rate of trandolapril sustained release matrix tablets by liquisolid compact approach. Asian J Pharm. 2015; 9 (4): 290-297.
12. Donthi MR, Dudhipala NR, Komalla DR, Suram D, Banala N. Preparation and Evaluation of Fixed Combination of Ketoprofen Enteric Coated and Famotidine Floating Mini Tablets by Single Unit Encapsulation System. Journal of Bioequivalence and Bioavailability. 2015; 7(6): 279.
13. Reddy N.D, Chinna R.P, Sunil R and Madhusudan Rao Y. Development of floating matrix tablets of Ofloxacin and Ornidazole in combined dosage form: in vitro and in vivo evaluation in healthy human volunteers. Int J Drug Deli.2012; 4, 462-469.
14. Dudipala R, Palem C.R, Reddy S and Madhusudan Rao Y. Pharmaceutical development and clinical pharmacokinetic evaluation of gastroretentive floating matrix tablets of levofloxacin. Int J Pharma Sci and Nanotech.2011; 4(3), 1461-1467.
15. Narendar D, Someshwar K, Arjun N and Madhusudan Rao Y. Quality by design approach for development and optimization of Quetiapine Fumarate effervescent floating matrix tablets for improved oral delivery. J Pharm Investigation.2016; 46(3): 253-263.
16. Vamshi Krishna M, Vijay Kumar B, Narendar D. In-situ Intestinal Absorption and Pharmacokinetic Investigations of Carvedilol Loaded Supersaturated Self-Emulsifying Drug System. Pharm Nanotechnol. 2020; doi: 10.2174/2211738508666200517121637.
17. Dudhipala N, Veerabrahma K. Candesartan cilexetil loaded solid lipid nanoparticles for oral delivery: characterization, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluation. Drug delivery. 2016;23(2): 395-404.
18. Narendar D, and Ahmed Adel AY. Amelioration of ketoconazole in lipid nanoparticles for enhanced antifungal activity and bioavailability through oral administration for management of fungal infections. Chemistry and Physics of Lipids.2020; 232: 104-953.
19. Banala, N, Tirumalesh C, Suram, D. Dudhipala, N. Zotepine loaded lipid nanoparticles for oral delivery: preparation, characterization, and in vivo pharmacokinetic studies. Fut J Pharm Sci.2020; 6(1): 37.
20. Pitta S, Dudhipala N, Narala A and Veerabrahma K. Development and evaluation of Zolmitriptan transfersomes by Box-Behnken design for improved bioavailability by nasal delivery. Drug Dev Ind Pharm.2018; 44(3): 484-492.
21. Narendar D, Riyaz PMD, Ahmed AY, Nagaraj B. Effect of lipid and edge activator concentration on development of Aceclofenac loaded transfersomes gel for transdermal application: in vitro and ex vivo skin permeation. Dru Dev Ind Pharm. 2020. 46(8): 1334-1344.
22. Tirumalesh C, Suram, D, Dudhipala N, Banala N. Enhanced pharmacokinetic activity of Zotepine via nanostructured lipid carrier system in Wistar rats for oral application. Pharm. Nanotechnol. 2020; 8(2): 158-160.
23. Karri V, Butreddy A, Narender R. Fabrication of Efavirenz Freeze Dried Nanocrystals: Formulation, Physicochemical Characterization, In Vitro and Ex Vivo Evaluation. Advanced Science, Engineering and Medicine.2015; 7(5): 385-392.
24. Nagaraj K, Narendar D and Kishan V. Development of Olmesartan medoxomil optimized nanosuspension using the Box–Behnken design to improve oral bioavailability. Drug Dev Ind Pharm, 2017;43(7): 1186-1196.
25. Bindu M B et al. Mucoadhesive drug delivery system: An overview. Journal of Advanced Pharmaceutical Technology and Research. 2011; (1) 4: 381-387.
26. Asha John S et al. Development and evaluation of buccoadhesive drug delivery system for Atorvastatin calcium. Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research. 2010; 01: 31-38.
27. Yogita R I, Nayana V, Pimpodkar, Puja S G, Anita S G. A Comprehensive Review on Biodegradable Polymers. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2016; 6(2): 65-76.
28. Raj Kumar P, Pankaj R, SK Singh, DN Mishra. Bioadhesive Polymers as a Platform for Drug Delivery: Possibilities and Future Trends. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2010; 2(1): 1-6.
29. Narendar D, Arjun N, Karthik Yadav J and Ramesh B. Amoxycillin Trihydrate Floating-Bioadhesive Drug Delivery System for Eradication of Helicobacter pylori: Preparation, In Vitro and Ex Vivo Evaluation. J bioequ avail. 2016; 8(3), 118-124.
30. Babli T, Vinay P, Mahendra Singh A, Pravin Kumar. Natural and Synthetic Polymers for Colon Targeted Drug Delivery. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2016; Vol. 6(1): 35-44.
31. Banala N, Peddapalli H, Dudhipala N, Chinnala KM. Transmucosal Delivery of Duloxetine Hydrochloride for Prolonged Release: Preparation, in vitro, ex vivo Characterization and in vitro-ex vivo Correlation. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2018 Sep 30; 11(5): 4249-58.
32. Narendar D Ahmed Adel AY, and Nagaraj B. Colloidal lipid nanodispersion enriched hydrogel of antifungal agent for management of fungal infections: comparative in-vitro, ex-vivo and in-vivo evaluation for oral and topical application. Chemistry and Physics of Lipids (2020); 104-981.
33. Krishna Reddy Y, Fathima U. Formulation and Evaluation of Sustained release matrix tablets of Atomoxetine HCl by using Natural and Synthetic Polymers. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2020; 10(1): 43-47.
34. Nagaraj B, Anusha K, Narendar D, Sushma P. Formulation and evaluation of microemulsion-based transdermal delivery of duloxetine hydrochloride. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 Jan 31;13(1): 4773-82.
35. Ahmed AY, Narendar D, Mujumdar S. Ciprofloxacin Loaded Nanostructured Lipid Carriers Incorporated into In-Situ Gels to Improve Management of Bacterial Endophthalmitis. Pharmaceutics. 2020; 12(6): 572.
36. Narendar D, Thirupathi G. Neuroprotective effect of Ropinirole loaded lipid nanoparticles hydrogel for Parkinson’s disease: preparation, in-vitro, ex-vivo, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluation. Pharmaceutics. 2020, 12(5): 448.
37. Somasekhar C et al. Formulation and evaluation of chitosan based effervescent Floating tablets of Verapamil Hydrochloride. IJBPAS. December2012; 1(11): 1711-1720.
38. Manoj Kumar S et al. Chitosan: a novel excipient in pharmaceutical formulation: a review, IJPSR. 2011; 2(9): 2266-2277.
39. Sachin R. K, Zaki Husain J.T, Dr. John I, Souza D. Synthesis and Characterization of Schiff bases of Chitosan for their Improved Mucoadhesion. Asian J. Research Chem. 5(9): September, 2012; Page 1099-1103.
40. Younes I, Rinaudo M. Chitin and chitosan preparation from marine sources. Structure, properties and applications. Mar Drugs. 2015; 13(3): 1133-1174.
41. Durgesh Kumari G, Goswami R, Deepak K, Anjana G, ChandySteffy M. A Review on Chitosan Nanoparticle as a Drug delivery system. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2020; 10(4): 299-306.
42. The United States Pharmacopeia. The National Formulary 1990, USP XXII. P. 887-889, 1578.
43. Indian Pharmacopoeia. 1996; 2:S-62: 486-487.
44. Lachman L, Lieberman HA. The Theory and Practice of Industrial Pharmacy. Special Indian edition. 2009.
45. Chinna Reddy P, Ramesh G, Narender D, Vamshi Vishnu Y, and Madhusudan Rao Y. Transmucosal Delivery of Domperidone from Bilayered Buccal Patches: In-Vitro, Ex- Vivo and In-Vivo Characterization. Arch Pharm Res.2011; 34(10): 1701-1710.
46. Salunke P A, Umarkar A R, Bagad Y M, Bawaskar S R, and Sonawane R O. Simultaneous Estimation of CefiximeTrihydrate and Ofloxacin by UV Spectrophotometer Using Multicomponent Method. Asian J. Research Chem. May 2011; 4(5): Page 708-710.
47. Chinna Reddy P, Narendar D, Sunil Kumar B, Michael AR and Madhusudan Rao Y. Development, Optimization and in-vivo Characterization of Domperidone Controlled Release Hot Melt Extruded Films for Buccal Delivery. Drug Dev Ind Pharm, 2016; 42(3), 473-484.
48. Chinna Reddy P, Narendar D, Sunil Kumar B, Satyanarayana G, and Madhusudan Rao Y. Combined dosage form of Pioglitazone and Felodipine as mucoadhesive pellets via hot melt extrusion for improved buccal delivery with application of quality by design approach. J Drug Del Sci Tech. 2015; 30: 209-219.
49. Park H, Robinson JR. Mechanisms of mucoadhesion of poly (acrylic acid) hydrogels. Pharm Res. 1987; 4: 457-464.
50. Donthi MR, Dudipala N, Komalla DR, Suram D, Banala N. Design and Evaluation of Floating Multi Unit Mini Tablets (MUMTS) Muco Adhesive Drug Delivery System of Famotidine to Treat Upper Gastro Intestinal Ulcers. Journal of Pharmacovigilance. 2015 Oct 12.
51. Manish P, Patel MM, Patel KN, Patel DR, Patel UL. Designing and Evaluation of Floating Microspheres of Verapamil Hydrochloride: Effect of Methocel. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2009; 1(1): 22-28.
52. Dinesh D, Amit A R, Maria S, Swaroop R L and Mohd. Hassan G D. Development and In Vitro Evaluation of Oral Floating Matrix Tablet Formulation of Ranitidine Hydrochloride. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2009; 1(1): 41-44.
53. Raj kumar P, Pankaj R, Singh SK, Mishra DN. Bioadhesive polymers as a platform for drug delivery: possibilities and future trends. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2009; 1(3): 280-284
54. Navneet N, Manisha A, Sandeep R, Swami G, Sharma D and Kapoor R. Mucoadhesion Based Solid Dosage Form: The Next Generation. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2010; 2(5): 323-328.
55. Ranabir Ch, Mahapatro S.K, Tutun, Amit R and Sanjib B. Development of Oral Mucoadhesive Tablets of Terbutaline Sulphate Using Some Natural Materials Extracted from Albelmoschus esculeatus and Tamarindus indica. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2008; 1(1): 46-51.
56. Venkatalakshmi R, Tan SH, Prasanthi S. Formulation and Evaluation of Buccal Tablets of Diclofenac Sodium using Semi-Synthetic Polymers. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(1): 01-08
57. Annapurna U, Naga Swapna V, Neelima Devi R, Glory Sheren G, Kishore Kumar B. Formulation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Buccal Films of Diclofenac Potassium. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 8(9): Sept, 2015; Page 1269-1275.
58. Sheetal D and Varsha P. Formulation Development of Mucoadhesive Matrix Tablet for Metformin Hydrochloride: In-Vitro and In-Vivo Evaluation. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010; 3(2): 443-450.
59. Patil CC, Pawar VV, Karajgi SR, Kalyane NV. Formulation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Buccal Tablets of Ondansetron Hydrochloride. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(2): 581-586.