Sheeba FR, Amar Sahani, Yogesh DB
Sheeba FR1*, Amar Sahani1, Yogesh DB2
1Mallige College of Pharmacy, Bengaluru 560090, Karnataka, India.
2Subtle Pharmaceutical Private limited, Bengaluru 560058, Karnataka, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
Aim: This study is aimed to prepare floating matrix Domperidone Maleate tablets by using natural polymers. Materials and Methods: Domperidone maleate was formulated as floating matrix tablets to increase the gastric residence time. Natural polymers like xanthan gum, tragacanth, sodium alginate along with sodium bicarbonate, citric acid and HPMC were used to increase the buoyancy time and decrease the floating lag time. The compressed tablets were evaluated for various parameters like friability, hardness, uniformity of weight, uniformity of drug content, swelling index, bouncy time and in-vitro drug release. Results: The evaluated parameters were in compliance with the pharmacopoeial limits. The most successful formulation was F2, containing xanthan gum as polymer. The drug release was extended up to 10 h which was close to that of theoretical release profile. Mathematical modelling of in-vitro dissolution data indicated the best-fit release kinetics was achieved with Zero order model with R2 values of 0.99. Conclusion: The prepared sustained-release floating tablets of domperidone maleate could perform therapeutically better than that of conventional sustained release tablets with improved efficacy and better patient compliance.
Cite this article:
Sheeba FR, Amar Sahani, Yogesh DB. Natural Polymer Based Floating Matrix Tablets of Domperidone. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2022; 14(4):269-5. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2022.00044
Sheeba FR, Amar Sahani, Yogesh DB. Natural Polymer Based Floating Matrix Tablets of Domperidone. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2022; 14(4):269-5. doi: 10.52711/0975-4377.2022.00044 Available on: https://rjpdft.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-14-4-3
1. Anka AR, Narasimha VR, Seetha A, Anil K, Vasu NV, Rajesh A. An overview on oral controlled release drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Chem Res.2015; 1(1): 6-15.
2. A.V.S. Hima Bindu, G. Bhavya, K. Padmalatha. Floating Drug Delivery System: An Overview. Asian J Research Pharma Sci. 2021; 11(4):295-300.
3. Shah SH, Patel JK, Patel NV. A review on stomach specific floating drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Tech Res. 2009; 2(1): 623-33.
4. Prajapati ST, Patel LD, Patel DM. Studies on Formulation and In-Vitro Evaluation of Floating Matrix Tablets of Domperidone. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2009; 71(1): 19-23.
5. Albright LM. Use of Domperidone as a prokinetic and antiemetic, Health and Wellness. Int J Pharm Compounding. 2005; 9(5): 120–25.
6. Prabakaran L, Bajpai M. Novel micropelletization technique: Highly improved dissolution, wettability and micromeritic behavior of domperidone. Curr Drug Deliv. 2006; 3(1): 307-13.
7. Sandip G, Badadhe, Sabahuddin S, Siddique, Vikas G. Formulation and analytical method development for simultaneous estimation of domperidone and itopride from sustained release matrix tablet. Der Pharmacia Sinica. 2015, 6(8): 6-11.
8. Sunirmal Bhattacharjee, Gouranga Dutta, Nilayan Guha, Devdut Banerjee, Tathagarta Roy, SiddheswarMaiti. Formulation and Evaluation Study of Azithromycin Tablets by Various Natural Polymers and their Comparative Preformulation Study. Research J Pharm Tech. 2018; 11(3): 1107-1111.
9. Rahul Khiste, NilkanthBhapkar, Nilesh Kulkarni. A Review on Applications of Hydroxy Propyl Methyl Cellulose and Natural polymers for the development of modified release drug delivery systems. Research J Pharm and Tech. 2021; 14(2):1163-1170.
10. Ganesan V, Tekade Nilesh P, Bhajipale Nitin S, Dewade Durgesh R, Thenge Raju R. Design and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Tablets of Lorsatan Potassium. Research J Pharm and Tech. 2009;1(2):139-142.
11. Nikhil M. Mahajan, Pravin D. Telgote, Nitin A. Chandekar, Santosh G. Shep, Atish R. Sawant, C.K. Gadewar, A.V. Chandewar. Formulation and Evaluation of Effervescent Floating Tablet of Domperidone Maleate. Research J Pharm and Tech. 3(4): 1260- 64.
12. KasaniHarikrishna Gouda, V. Sai Kishore, N. Balaji. Development and Evaluation of Floating Matrix Tablets of Propranolol HCl. Research J Pharm Dosage Forms and Tech. 2011; 3(2): 67-72.
13. Raghavendra N.G, Ashok Y. Formulation and evaluation of bilayer matrix tablet of pioglitazone HCl metformin HCl USP 15mg and 500mg. Int J Curr Pharm Res. 2010; 2(1): 34-42.
14. Panda S, Praneeth K R, Venugopal M, Pattnaik S, Maharana L. Formulation and evaluation of domperidone embedded floating tablets using various release retardants from natural and synthetic origin. J Chem Pharm Res. 2015; 7(10):200-07.
15. Shailesh P, Laxmanbhai P, Chhaganbhai P. Floating Matrix tablets of Domperidone formulation and optimization using simple lattice design. Iran J Pharm Res.2011; 10(3): 447-55.
16. Dey S, Dutta S, Mazumder B. Formulation and evaluation of floating tablet of atenolol for gastro-retentive drug delivery. Int J Pharm Sci. 2012; 3(4):433-37.
17. Ray D, Amresh KP. Designing and In-vitro studies of gastric floating tablets of tramadol hydrochloride. Int J Appl Pharm. 2010; 2(4):12-16.
18. Shailesh P, Laxmanbhai P, Chhaganbhai P. Floating Matrix Tablets of Domperidone Formulation and Optimization Using Simplex Lattice Design. Iran J Pharm Res 2011; 10(3): 447–55.
19. B. RangaNayakulu, Nakka Ravi Kumar, Ch. Kiran Kumar, P. Raja Abhilash. Formulation and evaluation of floating matrix tablet of Losartan for gastro-retentive drug delivery. Asian J Pharm Tech. 2016; 6(2): 85-90.
20. Shaikh HK, Kshirsagar RV, Patil SG. Mathematical models for drug release characterization: A review. World J Pharm Res. 2015; 4(4):324-38.
21. Pramod Patil, Someshwara Rao B, Suresh V Kulkarni, Basavaraj, Chetan Surpur, Anand Ammanage. Formulation and In Vitro Evaluation of Floating Matrix Tablets of Ofloxacin. Asian J Research Pharm Sci. 2011; 1(1): 17-22.
22. R. Saisree, SatyabrataBhanja, Swarup Das, Bhavana. V, M. Sudhakar, B. B Panigrahi. Formulation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Microspheres of Valsartan. Research J Pharm and Tech. 2019; 12(2):669-677.